You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Need Thumler Rotary Tumbler advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
I size and decap at the same time. So no. I do not put dirty brass in my dies. I clean the pocket for pistol as I see the need, but always with rifle brass.
Bayou, I was informed by your posts. Thanks! The wet process sounds like the ticket to sparkling brass inside and out.
I am sticking to my dry method. No problems with 100M+ reloads. I am also told I am really, really set in my ways.
Hi, 25-5 -

You can never argue with good results!

Old 02-11-2014, 02:15 AM   #72

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Being new to reloading, I had done a few thousand rounds (pistol) with a vibratory tumbler before getting a rotary (wet) tumbler. I could not believe how much BETTER the wet tumbler is. The inside of the case, the primer pocket, etc look NEW without any additrional effort. I even "re-tumbled" some brass I had already done (in a vibratory tumbler) and saw a vast improvement.
I also do not like to get my resizing die dirty, and so I tumble before re-sizing. I use a universal decapping die to deprime the brass....then wet tumble...then dry....then lube and re-size.....then trim to length.
People Like This 
Old 02-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Being new to reloading, I had done a few thousand rounds (pistol) with a vibratory tumbler before getting a rotary (wet) tumbler. I could not believe how much BETTER the wet tumbler is. The inside of the case, the primer pocket, etc look NEW without any additrional effort. I even "re-tumbled" some brass I had already done (in a vibratory tumbler) and saw a vast improvement.
I also do not like to get my resizing die dirty, and so I tumble before re-sizing. I use a universal decapping die to deprime the brass....then wet tumble...then dry....then lube and re-size.....then trim to length.
Well, Professor-

If I might say, you no longer sound like a noobie reloader - you've got the procedure down pat.

I agree - I'm stuck on wet tumbling, too. I did 4 drums o f 30-06 this weekend. It comes out better than unfired brass off of the shelf.

Using the Armor-All in the place of Dawn keeps that bright, shiny newly tumbled finish without re-tarnishing. I then store up a lot of the brass for future use....after sizing and trimming, of course.

Too bad trimming isn't as much fun as tumbling......

Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #74
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 239 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Default Fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post
Well, Professor-

If I might say, you no longer sound like a noobie reloader - you've got the procedure down pat.

I agree - I'm stuck on wet tumbling, too. I did 4 drums o f 30-06 this weekend. It comes out better than unfired brass off of the shelf.

Using the Armor-All in the place of Dawn keeps that bright, shiny newly tumbled finish without re-tarnishing. I then store up a lot of the brass for future use....after sizing and trimming, of course.

Too bad trimming isn't as much fun as tumbling......
So if they made a trimmer that you could load a couple hundred cases in, turn on and walk away. Would that be as much fun? Just asking
People Like This 
Old 02-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
So if they made a trimmer that you could load a couple hundred cases in, turn on and walk away. Would that be as much fun? Just asking
That's it! A Million Dollar idea! Now if I could only figure out how to design that machine........

Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #76
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1377 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 335

You could probably get a used one from any ammo manufacture company. It only takes $$$$$$$$.
Bayou Likes This 
Old 02-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #77
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 239 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Default designs

Quote:
That's it! A Million Dollar idea! Now if I could only figure out how to design that machine........
I have a quite of few million dollar ideas, just not any designs to match.
Bayou Likes This 
Old 02-12-2014, 12:57 AM   #78

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Bradam -
, I can't compare the two in terms of tumbling time and results.
I tumble my brass for 4 hours, in the regular speed tumbler......period.
I have tried shorter times, but only after the 4 hour tumbling am I happy with the results. Shine, new looking casings with clean primer pockets. I would think that moving the steel faster would only "spill" it rather than "tumble" it over the brass. At any rate, I'm not about to change tumblers.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:01 AM   #79

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
I tumble with dry media and a few fabric softener strips with a timer set for three hours.)
But does that clean the primer pocket, or do you do that seperately?

Old 02-12-2014, 01:08 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
I tumble my brass for 4 hours, in the regular speed tumbler......period.
I have tried shorter times, but only after the 4 hour tumbling am I happy with the results. Shine, new looking casings with clean primer pockets. I would think that moving the steel faster would only "spill" it rather than "tumble" it over the brass. At any rate, I'm not about to change tumblers.
Interesting. I also tumble for 4 hours per batch, and I'm using the Thumler's high-speed model B.