Need Thumler Rotary Tumbler advice - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Need Thumler Rotary Tumbler advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee_Kay View Post
Been using magnets to help control the pins in a number of situations... Work wonderfully. picking up those strays, to pulling pins from the fabric (pillowcase) I use to strain the pins from the water.
Vee_Kay-

Just a question for my own information:

Once you use a magnet on the pins, do you find that they become permanently magnetized and then stick or clump together?

I've never used a magnet n the pins, so I was wondering about this.

Thanks-

Bayou

Last edited by Bayou; 01-29-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #42

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Length of exposure to the magnets will determine whether they become magnetized. Example, leave a magnet on the tip of a screwdriver for a week and you will have a magnetized screwdriver.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #43

Since this thread concerns advice on Thumler's Tumblers, I have a question for all of the Thumler's Tumbler users:

I have a Model B, hi-speed. I do not have the tumber attached to any type of base. I've seen where some folks will cut plywood to fit into the bottom of the tumbler frame so that the wood is in contact with the table the tumbler is setting on rather than the frame. The frame is made of rather thin metal on these tumblers.

Does anyone have any problem with the base or frame of their Thumler's Tumbler vibrating or moving a bit while tumbling? If so, what have you done to adjust or correct for this vibration/movement?

For myself, I place some old newspaper on the cement floor of the garage and place the tumbler on that. The cement floor is sufficiently rough that the tumbler doesn't move while tumbling.

Thanks for any insights or comments.....

Bayou

Old 01-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #44
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 955 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Default Need Thumler Rotary Tumbler advice

I cut a piece of carpet to set it on. It also is on the concrete basement floor. Going on four decades now. Also use a timer. Just in case I forget it's tumbling.
Also disengage the shaft from the slot to relieve tension from the belt when not in use. The belt will last a lot longer. I replace them with vacuum cleaner belts when they break.

Last edited by 25-5; 01-31-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #45

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I've used carpet, a kneeling pad and have set it in an aluminum roasting pan. The pan came up because I added a little too much dish soap one time and blew the top off, spreading pins, casings and water all over my workbench. The tumbler I use has a rubber O ring, just like the one used on the pulleys. I have a smaller tumbler, since I onlly reload handgun brass. I've since switched to dishwasher detergent, which doesn't create nearly as much suds but works quite well.

Last edited by Missouribound; 02-02-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Bayou Likes This 
Old 01-31-2014, 11:59 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
The pan came up because I added a little too much dish soap one time and blew the top off, spreading pins, casings and water all over my workbench.
Now THAT'S a funny story - funny to read about, that is, but not to clean up.

I've never before envisioned a SS wet tumbler blowing apart. Sounds like it could be a comedy skit!

But seriously, I like the idea about placing the tumbler on a piece of carpet to dampen its vibration or movement. Learn something new each day....

Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #47
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Default tumbler

I tested mine out just to see if it worked ( given to me). I set it up on tile in the kitchen, ran fine, did not move but I did not have any material in the drum so that may change things.
Bayou Likes This 
Old 02-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
I tested mine out just to see if it worked ( given to me). I set it up on tile in the kitchen, ran fine, did not move but I did not have any material in the drum so that may change things.

Super - let us know how it works with a loaded drum......

Old 02-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #49

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
It depends on how you load the drum. Ideally the wieght of the pins and brass are about equal, and the water JUST covers the mixture. I know some use the high speed tumbler, but I think that may be part of the problem. IF the "mix" doesn't just tumble but it is tossed I could see that moving the entire machine.
Mine does not move...any padding I have used was just to quiet it down a bit and keep the vibreation down.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:14 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
It depends on how you load the drum. Ideally the wieght of the pins and brass are about equal, and the water JUST covers the mixture. I know some use the high speed tumbler, but I think that may be part of the problem. IF the "mix" doesn't just tumble but it is tossed I could see that moving the entire machine.
Mine does not move...any padding I have used was just to quiet it down a bit and keep the vibreation down.

I was actually able to eliminate most all vibration/movement of the Thumler's high-speed tumbler by carefully removing the play or excess space between each axle bushing and the ret as ining clip for each bushing. By carefully snugging each retaining clip, the side to side sway of the drum was eliminated.