Need Thumler Rotary Tumbler advice - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Need Thumler Rotary Tumbler advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
Was suggested by my college son that a strong magnet may work for seperating the SS pins. What are your thoughts on that?
Works just fine....but you have to get stainless steel "coated" pins which are ferrous based. I found that out when I bought mine

Old 01-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
why tumbling instead of vibratory?
1. Brass comes out cleaner, inside and out.
2. Primer pockets are cleaned, eliminating any other process.
3. Much, much quieter than vibratory.
4. Media is a one time purchase...literally will last forever.
5. Imperfections in brass are much easier to see.

I'm sure there are more reasons....but I can't think of them.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #23

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
1. Brass comes out cleaner, inside and out.
2. Primer pockets are cleaned, eliminating any other process.
3. Much, much quieter than vibratory.
4. Media is a one time purchase...literally will last forever.
5. Imperfections in brass are much easier to see.

I'm sure there are more reasons....but I can't think of them.
I agree fully. Plus, as clean as the brass comes out after wet tumbling, there's little chance of sratching or etching the inside walls of the sizing dies.

Bayou

Old 01-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #24

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post
I've never used any other citrus based water softener other than Lemi-Shine. There may be others, but I am unfamiliar with them.

Here in my area, Walmart keeps hefty supplies of Lemi-Shine on the shelf. Have you checked your local Walmart? Even if it is not on the shelf, you can go to the Walmart website, order the Lemi-Shine on the website, and it will be brought/delivered to your local store for your pickup/purchase.

Just some ideas..........

Bayou
I did manage to find some Lemishine today (yes, at walmart). Still, I wonder if other products would work. If it's all about PH balance and hard vs. soft water....then maybe some lemon juice or white vinegar would work as well. Just curious now.
Bayou Likes This 
Old 01-14-2014, 01:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
I did manage to find some Lemishine today (yes, at walmart). Still, I wonder if other products would work. If it's all about PH balance and hard vs. soft water....then maybe some lemon juice or white vinegar would work as well. Just curious now.

Glad you made your find at WallyWorld.

I have read where others have substituted different products for Lemi-Shine, but I don't recall those products. I do recall one person using a food grade citrus powder of some sort. You can come across such info from time to time.

Just remember that when it comes to Lemi-Shine, more is not better. Using too much Lemi-Shine will actually cause discoloration in the brass. Thus, keeping the recipe to 1/4 teaspoon per drum is spot on.

Bayou

Old 01-19-2014, 03:33 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Thanks for the O ring tip. I had a friend give me a tumbler it was his dads. I plugged it in and it works after not being used for 20 years. I have all the equipment to start reloading but have not finished my re- bench and room. Thanks again
Bayou Likes This 
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
Thanks for the O ring tip. I had a friend give me a tumbler it was his dads. I plugged it in and it works after not being used for 20 years. I have all the equipment to start reloading but have not finished my re- bench and room. Thanks again
Glad that o-ring info was useful to you, bradam. It sure helped me out.

So far, the first 80 cent o-ring has outlasted any $6.00 replacement belt I've purchased and gone through for my Tumblers model B.

I would like to hear if any other Thumlers tumbler users have had unusually short belt life, and what they thought the reason was. I'm curious because I saw no reason for the fast belt breakage on my Thumler's, and still don't know why.

Bayou

Old 01-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1315 Times on 780 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I've decided to not wet tumble. Some great reasons on why to wet tumble, however, I've looked a lot harder at the self proclaimed expert that says not to. He is a licensed engineer (PE), has testified in several cases where the ammo catastrophically failed due to grain boundary etching/leaching.

Granted, it's a rare event, with unknown parameters to get there, but it has happened.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #29

Quote:
I've decided to not wet tumble. Some great reasons on why to wet tumble, however, I've looked a lot harder at the self proclaimed expert that says not to. He is a licensed engineer (PE), has testified in several cases where the ammo catastrophically failed due to grain boundary etching/leaching.

Granted, it's a rare event, with unknown parameters to get there, but it has happened.
I'm unaware of this, for my part. But, I've read others complaining about "peening" of the mouth after SS wet tumbling. Again, in my experience, at least, I haven't seen such peening. Granted, though, I haven't examined the mouths under a microscope. But nothing visible, at least.

Bayou52

Old 01-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #30

Quote:
has testified in several cases where the ammo catastrophically failed due to grain boundary etching/leaching.
Set aside the expert for a minute. Ammo can only be reloaded so many times before the casing is no longer reusable. That will happen long before any tumbling can affect the condition of the case. Now I suppose there are some "experts" who may tumble the cases for one or two weeks and come to the conclusion that the tumbling affects the brass.....but tumbling is a process which should never take any more than 3-4 hours and since the cases are truly consumables, they will have outlived their use long before the tumbler can do anything to them.