Need Thumler Rotary Tumbler advice - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Need Thumler Rotary Tumbler advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
Was suggested by my college son that a strong magnet may work for seperating the SS pins. What are your thoughts on that?
As it happens, the pins that I have are attracted to a magnet. However, using a magnet to separate pins from brass will not work since there will be many pins contained inside the brasses and beyond the field of the magnet. I know of several ways that pins can be separated from the tumbled brasses:

1. Pins csn be manuallly separated by covering the brasses and pins with water and shaking each brass under the water. The water loosens the pins which fall out of the brasses and to the bottom of the water,

2. Using a common kitchen collander, the pins and brasses are dumped in the collander and vigorously shaken. This will loosen the pins which fall out of the collander while the brasses remain in the collander. The brasses can then be immersed in water and shaken to assure all of the pins are out,

3. My preferred method is using a rotary media separator. The pins and brasses are dumped in the squirrel cage, a gallon or so of water is added to the separator housing, and then the squirrel cage is rotated or spun. This spinning action effectively removes the pins from the brass: the brass remains in the squirrel cage, and the pins fall into the separator housing and to the bottom of the separator housing. This is easy and efficient. Only a few seconds of spinning are required, and all of the pins get separated. Here is a link to a rotary media separator that contains a picture:

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/media-separator-deluxe.html

It's common for some pins to escape and fall on the counter or onto the floor while working with the drum or the brasses. That's where a magnet becomes useful - in collecting the "escapees" that go errant. Individual pins lying about are easily collected this way and returned to the "flock".

I'll be happy to provide more tips on using the rotary media separator to assist in drying the tumbled brasses.

Bayou

Old 01-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 384

thanks for the info. I have the tumbler, media separator. I am working on the re-loading room. I plan on using all of the forum tips. This is a great site for beginners like myself. Thanks again to all.
Bayou Likes This 
Old 01-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:
thanks for the info. I have the tumbler, media separator. I am working on the re-loading room. I plan on using all of the forum tips. This is a great site for beginners like myself. Thanks again to all.
Sure bradam -

Let me know if you want some tips on using the rotary media separator in the proccess of drying the newly tumbled brasses. There's a good technique for this.

Bayou

Old 01-13-2014, 01:14 AM   #14

bring the drying tips on.
Bayou Likes This 
Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 AM   #15

Quote:
bring the drying tips on.

Bradam -
Happy to supply my brass drying technique. I've read whhere guys are using all kinds of devices for drying newly tumbled brass inluding kitchen ovens, clothes dryers, hair dryers, special made ovens, heaters, air compressors, light bulbs, etc., etc.

Well none of that stuff is really necessary in my experience. The drying technique I use is based around the rotary media separator.

I use the rotary media separator as a "spin cycle". After the pins are separated and the water removed from the rotary media separator, I leave the wet brasses in the rotary squirrel cage, throw in a dry towel and spin for 20-30 seconds. This removes 90+ % of the dampness.

I then repeat a second spin with another dry towel.

These 2 spin cycles will remove almost all remaining dampness. This is because the brasses are decapped, and moisture escapes from both ends of the brasses while spinning. Simply laying the brass out in open air will cause any remaining moisture to evaporate - usually in 10 minutes or so or less.

No need for any heaters, air blowers, dehydrators, ovens, etc., etc., etc.

I hope this technique works as good for you as it does for me.

Bayou

Last edited by Bayou; 01-13-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 AM   #16

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Is there a substitute for LemiShine? I've been to 3 stores and can't find it. I DID see a couple of products (containing citrus) used for eliminating spots on dishes. Will those work?

Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 AM   #17

thanks for the recipe. Since you decap Pryor to tumbling do you have to re size after drying?
Bayou Likes This 
Old 01-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #18

Quote:
thanks for the recipe. Since you decap Pryor to tumbling do you have to re size after drying?
Yes. The procedure is to first decap, then wet tumble, then full length size after that, then trim, debur and chamfer. Once all of this is finished, the case has been prepared for priming and charging.

Bayou

Old 01-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Is there a substitute for LemiShine? I've been to 3 stores and can't find it. I DID see a couple of products (containing citrus) used for eliminating spots on dishes. Will those work?
I've never used any other citrus based water softener other than Lemi-Shine. There may be others, but I am unfamiliar with them.

Here in my area, Walmart keeps hefty supplies of Lemi-Shine on the shelf. Have you checked your local Walmart? Even if it is not on the shelf, you can go to the Walmart website, order the Lemi-Shine on the website, and it will be brought/delivered to your local store for your pickup/purchase.

Just some ideas..........

Bayou

Old 01-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1389 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 252

why tumbling instead of vibratory?