Need some help with a powder dispenser issue. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Need some help with a powder dispenser issue.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default powder Baffle

The best and cheapest that I have found is the Downrange Powder Baffle for Hornady, Pacific Powder Measure for $3.79 at MidwayUSA. It fits most powder measures I have.
The other two are Lyman #55 Powder Measure Powder Baffle for $8.99 and Redding 3, 3BR Powder Measure Powder Baffle for $5.59. You can also just cut out an aluminum can, and bend it and notch it to fit. The idea of the baffle is to maintain the same powder pressure head at the cavity so the measure doesn't see heavy pressure when the measure if full and decreasing pressure to fill teh cavity as you dispense more and more powder.
The main "problem" with a powder baffle is forgetting it is there and turning the measure upside down to pour out the powder and having the baffle come out, plug the funnel, and getting powder all over the place. Powder and primers seem to live to make a mess.
Also, I see measures as having a lot of voodoo, and there are just some days when a given measure will not throw a consistent charge (barometric pressure, phase of the moon, how the measure feels that day, who knows).
I really recommend that you try to meter the powder by banging the knocking the metering assembly a couple of times to get the powder into the cavity and then when you drop the powder to again bang the metering assembly a couple of times. "Bang Bang" up and "Bang Bang" down. Some of the old measures had little hammers on them so you could "clank, clank" a couple of times.
±0.2 grains is not an issue. What you should do is meter out at least 10 loads (working with a steady, repeatable rhythm that you can use always and doing the "clang, clang." These can just be metered right into the powder can as they are just to settle the powder and you. Then meter out 10 more charges and weigh each one. Calculate the Standard Deviation. Divide the S.D. by the average charge to get the Coefficient of Variance. The CoV should be less than 3% (less than 0.03). You can do this for each charge weight for each powder you meter in that measure. If you want a more statistically accurate number, you should meter out at least 20 charges. A lot of people never weigh an individual charge. They just weight 10 charges, divide by 10, and go from there.
As I said, if you just can't accept the CoV and you want each charge to be of identical weight, you will need to weight each charge. This is slow, but nobody can criticize other that to say "you're wasting your time," and we all do that any way.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #12

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Those are pretty expensive, but the beauty is that it will interface with the RCBS digital scale that I already have. So I could expect much more consistent accuracy with it, regardless of the type of powder?

Last edited by lonyaeger; 08-19-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lon, you the man and by the way, good morning it's a wonderful day in the hood.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #14

Morning there, Joe. Yes, it IS a beautiful day!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

RMP1394-RLTW,

i've used an rcb, lyman and dillon measures for 40 years and have lots of experience with unigue, red dot and herco...all similar in size/shape, without the variations you've noted. are you consistent in the way you work the charging handle? throwing the charge should allow the same residence time in the fill and dispense position for best results.

a "soft" delivery followed by a faster/more energetic throw of the lever can account for variations you described.

4831 and other log powders don't pose the problem most imagine...a .5 grain difference in a 50+gr charge is 1% or less...if you're close to maximum, you should always weigh your charges; benchrest shooters don't weigh their charges and they shoot mighty small groups.

budman

Old 08-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #16

Thanks, I'll be sure to be consistent in the way I operate the handle.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

re. powder measure baffles:

no need to spend $$$ to buy one...one can be fabricated from cardboard or a portion of soda can cut to fit your measure with scissors. just be sure to allow for powder to flow around it.

budman

ignorance is its own reward

Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #18

Sorry I have disapeard for so long! All very good advise and it is much apopreciated! With work and my two boys I have not had too much time to play areound on the computer, I hope I did not piss off anyone by not replying.

To be honest, I simply changed my puwders to acomodate the dispenser. I started with Unique, went to No. 2 and have settled Power Pistol. I have been really happy with Power Pistol in 9mm and .40 cal. I just got a new toy (Springfield Range Officer) and just started reloading .45 as well. I went to a Lee Pro 1000 and have done some relading on it as well. Not sure if I will stick to it or not, I really dont like how I cant completely control every phase of the reloading process. I am also having some issues with the primer feeding. I have read all of the help tips but have not had time to fully try everything out yet.

Thanks again for the advise!

Mala Malis Facimus