Need some help with a powder dispenser issue.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Need some help with a powder dispenser issue.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need some help with a powder dispenser issue.

Back again with another FNG question!

I am using my father in law's powder dispenser (Redding from the 60's). I cannot get an accurate, consistant charge using Unique or 3831. obviously they are somewhat larger powders but I would think it would be somewhat consistant. I am gettinig anywhere from .2-.5 diferences in throws. having said that, I can reload with accurate No. 2 and be consistant all day long. I guess what my question is, is this the norm or is it time to replace the dispenser? if so, any recomendations? Thanks in advance!

Mala Malis Facimus

Last edited by canebrake; 09-03-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know that Titegroup meters better than Clays in my Uniflow powder measurer. But it still doesn't drop bench rest grade loads. I've been told to stop being so freak'n fussy and drop 10 loads and take an average. I still can't do this even when I'm loading handgun for the range.

I throw a load, weigh it, adjust it, and then seat the bullet. Very slow process but I don't mind spending hours at the reloading bench.

I'm debating whether or not to buy a completely automated progressive press. This would probably in the long run make me even crazier.

Good luck, Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 08-18-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Consistent charges

Any "fluffy" powder will be somewhat inconsistent when using a volumetric measure. However, ±0.5gn is a bit excessive unless talking about rifle loads.
Weight of powder is just not that critical unless you are working at max or over.
I don't know about benchrest shooters now, but up until the '90s I knew many benchrest shooters who never weighed their charges. Volume throws were all they cared about and used vernier gauges so they could always dial back to the setting they wanted.
Unless there is a lot of play in the measure, it is almost certainly still good.
Do you do two "knocks" on the upstroke and the down stroke? Do you use the same force/speed/vibration every time?
I load Unique all day long and the most i see is maybe a ±0.2gn variation.
If you want to KNOW that every charge is the same weight (±0.1gn), get a powder dispenser like the RCBS ChargeMaster. It will dispense a charge about as fast as you can seat a bullet on the previously charged case.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
I know that Titegroup meters better than Clays in my Uniflow powder measurer. But it still doesn't drop bench rest grade loads. I've been told to stop being so freak'n fussy and drop 10 loads and take an average. I still can't do this even when I'm loading handgun for the range.

I throw a load, weigh it, adjust it, and then seat the bullet. Very slow process but I don't mind spending hours at the reloading bench.

I'm debating whether or not to buy a completely automated progressive press. This would probably in the long run make me even crazier.

Good luck, Joe
What is an acceptable tolerance when measuring a load? I'm getting a variance anywhere from .0 to .4 with my powder measure from throw to throw.

Seems like the adjustment for the powder measure is not very precise or easy to use....an RCBS Uniflow.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5521 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

when i load hunting ammo i measure each chare by hand on a scale. its such a small ammount of rounds its no biggee. this lets me use a stiffer charge near max safely.

for just target shooting plinking i pick a median load weight that wont bring me over max or under mnimum if the measure decides to act up. i spot check about 1 round in 20. i use progressive and single stange.

unless your going for super accuracy i wouldnt worry too much long as the charges are in the +- max min

Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Are you using a powder baffle?

s7_210596_imageset_01.jpg   baffle.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #7

Thanks, JonM.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Are you using a powder baffle?
Nope, no baffle. Now I have to buy something else???

Old 08-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK cane, what kind of dispenser is that and where you get the stink'n baffle? I can see why that baffle would work.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:28 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I would start with a baffle. by 3831 did you mean 4831?

4831 is a big stick powder and tends to not meter well. Make sure you are operating the measure exactly the same every throw. That will go into the consistency of the loads it throws. Also try not to operate the measure too fast.

If after adding the baffle you are still getting inconsistent loads See if you can send it back to redding. Never hurts to ASK them.

Powder baffles.

MidwayUSA - Advanced Search

http://www.redding-reloading.com/contact-redding-reloading