Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Need some help with a powder dispenser issue. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/need-some-help-powder-dispenser-issue-30276/)

RMP1394-RLTW 08-10-2010 06:56 PM

Need some help with a powder dispenser issue.

Back again with another FNG question!

I am using my father in law's powder dispenser (Redding from the 60's). I cannot get an accurate, consistant charge using Unique or 3831. obviously they are somewhat larger powders but I would think it would be somewhat consistant. I am gettinig anywhere from .2-.5 diferences in throws. having said that, I can reload with accurate No. 2 and be consistant all day long. I guess what my question is, is this the norm or is it time to replace the dispenser? if so, any recomendations? Thanks in advance!

hunter Joe 08-10-2010 07:15 PM

I know that Titegroup meters better than Clays in my Uniflow powder measurer. But it still doesn't drop bench rest grade loads. I've been told to stop being so freak'n fussy and drop 10 loads and take an average. I still can't do this even when I'm loading handgun for the range.

I throw a load, weigh it, adjust it, and then seat the bullet. Very slow process but I don't mind spending hours at the reloading bench.

I'm debating whether or not to buy a completely automated progressive press. This would probably in the long run make me even crazier.

Good luck, Joe

noylj 08-18-2010 11:44 PM

Consistent charges

Any "fluffy" powder will be somewhat inconsistent when using a volumetric measure. However, 0.5gn is a bit excessive unless talking about rifle loads.
Weight of powder is just not that critical unless you are working at max or over.
I don't know about benchrest shooters now, but up until the '90s I knew many benchrest shooters who never weighed their charges. Volume throws were all they cared about and used vernier gauges so they could always dial back to the setting they wanted.
Unless there is a lot of play in the measure, it is almost certainly still good.
Do you do two "knocks" on the upstroke and the down stroke? Do you use the same force/speed/vibration every time?
I load Unique all day long and the most i see is maybe a 0.2gn variation.
If you want to KNOW that every charge is the same weight (0.1gn), get a powder dispenser like the RCBS ChargeMaster. It will dispense a charge about as fast as you can seat a bullet on the previously charged case.

lonyaeger 08-19-2010 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter Joe (Post 329277)
I know that Titegroup meters better than Clays in my Uniflow powder measurer. But it still doesn't drop bench rest grade loads. I've been told to stop being so freak'n fussy and drop 10 loads and take an average. I still can't do this even when I'm loading handgun for the range.

I throw a load, weigh it, adjust it, and then seat the bullet. Very slow process but I don't mind spending hours at the reloading bench.

I'm debating whether or not to buy a completely automated progressive press. This would probably in the long run make me even crazier.

Good luck, Joe

What is an acceptable tolerance when measuring a load? I'm getting a variance anywhere from .0 to .4 with my powder measure from throw to throw.

Seems like the adjustment for the powder measure is not very precise or easy to use....an RCBS Uniflow.

JonM 08-19-2010 01:36 AM

when i load hunting ammo i measure each chare by hand on a scale. its such a small ammount of rounds its no biggee. this lets me use a stiffer charge near max safely.

for just target shooting plinking i pick a median load weight that wont bring me over max or under mnimum if the measure decides to act up. i spot check about 1 round in 20. i use progressive and single stange.

unless your going for super accuracy i wouldnt worry too much long as the charges are in the +- max min

canebrake 08-19-2010 02:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Are you using a powder baffle?

lonyaeger 08-19-2010 02:03 AM

Thanks, JonM.

lonyaeger 08-19-2010 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 334173)
Are you using a powder baffle?

Nope, no baffle. Now I have to buy something else??? :(

hunter Joe 08-19-2010 02:07 AM

OK cane, what kind of dispenser is that and where you get the stink'n baffle? I can see why that baffle would work.

cpttango30 08-19-2010 04:28 AM

I would start with a baffle. by 3831 did you mean 4831?

4831 is a big stick powder and tends to not meter well. Make sure you are operating the measure exactly the same every throw. That will go into the consistency of the loads it throws. Also try not to operate the measure too fast.

If after adding the baffle you are still getting inconsistent loads See if you can send it back to redding. Never hurts to ASK them.

Powder baffles.

MidwayUSA - Advanced Search

http://www.redding-reloading.com/contact-redding-reloading