Need some help figuring out reloading costs. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Need some help figuring out reloading costs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check out MidwayUSA for reloading gear. For a single pistol caliber, generally you can get the Lee kit that has basically all you'll need including single-sage press, dies, powder measure, balance beam scale, hand primer tool, etc.
FIRST, a couple good loading manuals are mandatory! Lee has a good one, and the Lyman manual is good. They have a lot of info on the basic procedures for prepping and loading no matter what brand equipment you use. Safety is paramount!
For straight-wall pistol cases, don't worry about case trimming - virtually never needed. Once you graduate to rifle loading, then that will come into play.
Once you have the books and the gear, then we can address components - you will get as many different ideas there as we have guys posting! LOTS of good choices out there.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3372 Times on 1744 Posts
Likes Given: 355

As far as the 12 ga is concerned, you will not be able to match the price of the entry level shells. You can, however, load a far superior round than the bargain basement "dove and quail loads".

I load 12 ga with 16.4 grains of Red Dot, 1 1/8 oz of lead shot using a Winchester AA hull and a Claybuster WAA12 equivalent wad. Patterns are far superior to the cheap crap. This load shoots as well as a true AA load for about 1/2 the price.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

mrbirdguy,

Dzscubie brings up most of the pertinent points regarding reloading.

if your time is not factored in, cost of components/100 determines savings after the cost of your equipment is amortized. i wouldn't advise anyone to buy a shotgun press as sophisticated as a mec 9000 at first. the 600 jr. will give you first-class ammo for 1/3 the up-front initial cost. if, after gaining experience you can justify the 9000, then go for it, but my guess is the 600 jr. will keep you happy.

an interesting thing about reloading is that the more knowledgeable and experienced you are, the less you'd need to expend on equipment if you were starting over. i'd replace my stuff with used to save money, but if i were a newbie, i'd go with entry level tools from suppliers such as natchez, graf's, widener's, midway, etc.

there's nothing wrong with with a starter press kit from lee to see if the reloading bug is real or just a passing thing...if it's real, the equipment will be useful even after your purchase of a dillon progressive machine; if its a passing thing, the equipment won't have burned a hole in your wallet.

the same deal holds with shotshell reloading...a mec 9000 is serious equipment...in my opinion only necessary if your time is worth lots. i have one, but the amount i reload would only justify the 600 jr. if i had to replace it.

if you pursue the hobby, order on-line, except for powder and primers unless you order enough to offset the hazmat cost. ups etal charge a $25 adp (additional dealer profit) fee for 100 primers to 25,000 primers, or 1 lb of powder or 32 lbs of powder...but that's a different string on the forum.

budman

ignorance is its own reward

Old 09-04-2010, 04:35 AM   #14

Liked 2145 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 1390

You can save even more buy pouring lead to make your own bullets. I melt down wheel weights. I can reload any pistol cartridge for about $6.00 for a box of 50.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #15

Please consider the following;
powder $25 per pound, 7000 grains per pound, average 5 grains per round for 9mm "estimated" 1400 loads per pound.

primers $25 per thousand

bullets 9mm FMJ $.14 per bullet

brass 9mm $.10 per case or scrounge at range

Prices are all estimated but probably close. Reloading equipment cost can be high if you get into the high end of reloading. I have probable got more than $6000 invested in equipment since I cast and reload all types of ammunition. It is a labor of love for me. I would rather reload than watch TV or sit on my fourth point of contact.

I hope this helps,

patret

Old 09-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #16

Start with Midwayusa.com, or maybe Midsouth Shooter's Supply, or Grafs, or Wideners.....

If Midway doesn't have it you don't need it, the others are pretty good too.