Need major help here asap - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Need major help here asap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

gentlemen

The round you are dealing with may be a German 17cm, HE, K. GR. 38(HB) 170 mm = 6.69291"
this was a railway gun as well as a towed version
Ther were quite a few of these that were brought back after WWII for testing and evaluation
http://maic.jmu.edu/ordata/srdetaildesc.asp?ordid=4423
if the picture uploaded ok the 5th round from the right is the one you have
if you could provide few measurements it would help greatly to id this for you
height and diameter would work
From reading the entire thread the measurments are correct and the markings found corrispond to the Krupp gun works. The fact that you have removed the ballistic windsrceen and been able to see the internal fuze well verifies the round is empty I've seen quite a few of these poping up in the past couple of years.
Next question is would you like to sell it?
regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Need help in identifying this artillery round , had retired seal now explosive expert w/ dhs look at it this morning and we can not identify this puppy , it has numbers but we could not cross them. we even checked with ordata .I picked this thing up at a yard sale this morning . The silver part unscrews but we have not tried it or wish to try it , we dont see a fuse on top or bottom but from what i have read there is some ap rounds that have the fuse further inside . Im hoping some artillery guys can pitch in and help . We cant confirm if its a parade round 'inert' or ........ . If its confirmed live it will be disposed of no doubt . I am more than halfway afraid to even post this . If you guys can pm me I would be very thankfull . Its been sitting around for God knows how long and kicked and knocked over wet dry hot and cold , so im leaning towards inert but there is always a possibility btw you can judge the size by the atv its on, grizzly 700 4x4 ' big dang four wheeler' and it comes around 75lbs
Need major help here asap - Ammunition & Reloading
p1010011.jpg  

Last edited by ordman; 03-14-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #22

Liked 1330 Times on 955 Posts
Likes Given: 660

It look s pretty damn close . Id prob sell a kid before I ever sold this thing . Eod would have a stand off if they tried to get it from me . Not bad for 35.00 bucks , I would lave to have the brass that may have been used . Not sure if they used bags of charge or loaded it in a tube . I knew it had to be somthing large , when i was at the navy museum I saw nothing big enough to handle it , not even the rail gun out front so I knew it was prob a very large naval or an over seas round.

Its very cool to have a piece like this that has not been de-milled . Im working on a old WW1or 2 bomb cart with crawler tracks , very small but very cool , if the old man will come off of it . The tracks may be about 2-3 ft long if that gives you any idea on size .
Im always on the look out for more tillery but The whole is it loaded deal was too nerve racking . I bet i smoked 3 packs of smokes after getting the cap off , not to mention I bet it took 5 yrs off my life

What would be a good value for it ? I see the newer demilled stuff sell for a couple hundred and its no ways as cool

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #23

Figured I would light this one back up and see if there are any new ideas

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Old 08-29-2012, 03:24 AM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9082 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Figured I would light this one back up and see if there are any new ideas
One question.

After all of the advice that you get an ordinance disposal expert out there to deal with it, do you still have this (potential) bomb in your possession?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #25

OK, second question.

Ya got a big ball-peen hammer?

Old 08-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #26

Its not live Vike , I got it apart , dont ask me how , it was a bad time in my life and I smoked about 3 packs of cigarettes after the fact .
I got it sitting on the corner of my desk right now and man , I must say , this thing is BAD ASS and looking at it never gets old .
Alot of the vets who come in say its nice to see one w/o wires coming out of it lol

Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10775 Times on 4664 Posts
Likes Given: 1760

First- are there ANY markings stamped on the round?

Second- what I can see from blowing up the pics, the round has been fired. Re: marks on the driving bands.

Third, would vote for PROBABLE Naval rifle round- rounds that large did not have a cartridge case- they were loaded, then bagged powder, cap went in the breechblock. Many Naval Armor Piercing rounds used a hardened steel nose cap, penetrated into the guts of a ship by sheer kinetic energy, delay fuze fired the burrsting charge once the round was inside the ship.

Can you see INSIDE the cavity of the shell, and if so, is it empty?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #28

Yes , I got the nose or shield off of it and verified thats it empty , a fuze would have been cool to have but no luck . it has not been fired , the marks you see on the driving bands are handling scuffs and such . I have been hesitant to drill a hole in it so in case something ever happened to me EOD would have no reason to snatch it away from the family . It does have some nomenclature but nothing that tells us anything . it does look alot like the german type 38 . After I got the cap off I filled it with water for a few days then let it dry , cleaned it up and cleaned the threads on the cap then put a bit of anti seize so it need a air hammer next time to get it off ....... hint hint ...
By far the stupidest thing I have ever or will ever do in my life time and I deserve an award for having the biggest balls or stupidity , maybe both but it forever changed me and took some nerves with it .
The cap is fairly thin , not even 1/4 thick so im thinking it may have just been a air shield and not AP and the whole thing looks like its cast .

It makes me happy but gives me the chills when I look at it . If the kids dont want it one day then maybe a museum or the like would love to have it , its in almost perfect condition and chances are , I will never find anything like it for sale again , if so , it wont be 35 bucks like this one was

Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Its not live Vike , I got it apart , dont ask me how , it was a bad time in my life and I smoked about 3 packs of cigarettes after the fact .
I got it sitting on the corner of my desk right now and man , I must say , this thing is BAD ASS and looking at it never gets old .
Alot of the vets who come in say its nice to see one w/o wires coming out of it lol
All I can say is if you aren't smart then you are damned lucky.