Need major help here asap - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Need major help here asap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1223 Times on 875 Posts
Likes Given: 622

this thing is driving me crazy , its worse than being 4yrs old @ christmas morning and being in time out . I had a dream about it last night , I pulled the cap off and it started getting hot but the inside had some frankenstien copper coils and wires . Im taking the dream as a premonition . Maybe ww will just shoot it with my buddies new 416 @ 5-600yrds and hope for a single hole big enough to look in . All i can picture in my mind is joe dirt shooting the atom bomb with roman candles, but this is no doo doo tank

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Old 05-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #12

here are the markiings on it

top head = 2497m ' looks like a M'
top of main case = 2497 m ' looks like a M'
below the 2nd one is the same thing
and below all of the above it says in capital letters GWK

black and silver with 2 bands , two spanner wrench ports boat tail non fused

the top band is smooth the bottom band is also solid but has grooves , both are brass or copper - round looks like cast iron but is machined where its stamped

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Last edited by MobileMarine; 05-15-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 167

The train mentioned in Roseville was near Roseville in Antelope 1972 I lived in the area, it was supplies for Vietnam and they went off for 2-3 days. Go to Roseville April 28, 1973 pictures from trains photos on webshots
to see photos of the explosions.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
The train mentioned in Roseville was near Roseville in Antelope 1972 I lived in the area, it was supplies for Vietnam and they went off for 2-3 days. Go to Roseville April 28, 1973 pictures from trains photos on webshots
to see photos of the explosions.
Oh, I was off a few decades.

I lived 1/2 block from the depot in old Rosevill, and they excavated the stuff a few months after I moved. Is that the depot where they were found? (I can't open links on this computer).
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #15

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

So far the only thing I can come up with is that it may be an armor defeating shell, some had High Explosives in them. The plug in the back is in a few deferring rounds but mostly in AP's. The plug is not an indication of really much other then it was used on a few deferent types of arty shells. How ever coupled with the over all color of the round and the presence of a plug leads me to believe the round may be pre-WW2 and made for destroying Armor.

My suggestion is to call ordinance disposal and not take the chance of it being a live round with the potential of destroying a lot of peoples and property. That size of a shell could hold enough HE to level your home and maybe the ones next door. But it is your choice and it may not be dangerous it is the chance you will take.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #16

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

PM Bombdoc...I think he is an ordnance disposal tech. He may have some info for you...especially whether you need to call local LE and evacuate the area if that thing is live.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yard sale? That would have been the correct time to call LE. The LE in-turn contact Military EOD as no other agency is authorized to handle Military Munitions. This situation is not uncommon.

Without measurements it is nearly impossible to positively identify the projectile. I would call it in and let properly trained personnel handle it.

Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know it doesnt help but its still kinda funny.
I cant imagine what your neighbors must think. Hopefully its inert because having that much HE around my family would stress me out.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Last edited by Ruzai; 05-16-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #19

ITS INERT !!!!! The cap is hollow but you can see where the fuse would go so i think its a ap round or a shrouded fuse either way i think i can sleep much better now ,MEGA SCARY I have learned a very valuble lesson and I hope others that read this do to . MOral of the story '' never buy artillery from a toothless redneck on the side of a two lane rd '' . Yes I got a very cool object but it was not worth stress . Pardon me while I go throw up now , thank you guys for the input

Last edited by MobileMarine; 05-16-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #20