Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default need help

i have recently started reloading cast have been reloading over ten years i recently noticed that the cast bullets for 357 that i bought from s&s casting are good for the price. I use bulls eye powder and have noticed it is very smokey when fired never did this before with my jacketed bullet heads anyone have any idea why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #2

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Lower pressures of loading cast bullets will cause the powder to burn slightly less thus causing more fouling and smoke.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #3

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

you can also be vaporizing some of the bullet lube on the bullet. wax based lubes would be more prone to this.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I use AA#5 for my .38 loads under 158gr SWC S&S lead. I get some smoke but I'm not pushing them at the top of the chart. I get smoke with all of my S&S bullets and figure it is the lube. I have never had any leading issues.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #5

Liked 518 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAKINANAYA View Post
i have recently started reloading cast have been reloading over ten years i recently noticed that the cast bullets for 357 that i bought from s&s casting are good for the price. I use bulls eye powder and have noticed it is very smokey when fired never did this before with my jacketed bullet heads anyone have any idea why?

Yes, nothing more than the Bullet Lube applied to your cast bullets. Your jacketed bullet have no lube, so they don't smoke.

Nothing unusual or out of the ordinary. Some powders will contribute to the lube smoke a little, but no matter the powder you will still have smoke with cast bullets.