Need help with .223 Recipe
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Need help with .223 Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Need help with .223 Recipe

I'm working up a recipe for a good hunting round, but the data for the bullet I have is a little hard to find. I'm using IMR 4320 and a 65gr Sierra GameKing bullet.

This is the most useful source I have found for this data yet.

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/223rem-2005mar28.php

It doesn't list a 65gr GameKing, but it lists something called a 63gr SIE SP. I assume this means it's a Sierra Soft Point. Correct?

Here's what's listed.

Quote:
C.O.L. - 2.200"

Starting load - 23gr - 2733 FPS - 42,500 PSI

Max load - 25.5gr - 2975 FPS - 52,900 PSI

Would the data for this bullet be ok to use with the 65gr GameKing bullets?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

I believe that 63g Sierra is a semi-point. Still a soft point, just more rounded than the 65g spitzer youre wanting to load. As usual, the heavier the bullet, the less powder you put behind it. So you should be good assuming your start and max numbers are reduced a little. Actual length will be determined by the firearm chamber and magazine, im pretty sure you already know that but just in case.
Since there is no cannalure, i assume this is for a bolt gun? Otherwise, crimping for an auto is going to be difficult. Once again, just in case.
You can also contact Sierra and double check with them, never a bad idea anyway.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 895 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Sure, 2gr of bullet weight isn't going to affect much as far as powder charge goes. Just start low and work up.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #4

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

The only issue you will find w/ IMR4320 in a .223 semi auto is cycling issues. It is a fine line on what will cycle and what will not. 4064 is more forgiving.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975 View Post
I believe that 63g Sierra is a semi-point. Still a soft point, just more rounded than the 65g spitzer youre wanting to load. As usual, the heavier the bullet, the less powder you put behind it. So you should be good assuming your start and max numbers are reduced a little. Actual length will be determined by the firearm chamber and magazine, im pretty sure you already know that but just in case.
Since there is no cannalure, i assume this is for a bolt gun? Otherwise, crimping for an auto is going to be difficult. Once again, just in case.
You can also contact Sierra and double check with them, never a bad idea anyway.
Awesome! The gun is an AR so IIRC, they have a longer chamber than a bolt gun correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
Sure, 2gr of bullet weight isn't going to affect much as far as powder charge goes. Just start low and work up.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
The only issue you will find w/ IMR4320 in a .223 semi auto is cycling issues. It is a fine line on what will cycle and what will not. 4064 is more forgiving.
I normally use a flat base 55gr hollow point with 23-24gr (IIRC, I don't have my book handy) of IMR 4320. No cycling issues yet.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Neck tension only may or may not keep that bullet in place. Theres alot of enertia present upon chambering and recoil. Keep an eye on them for bullet set back. I havent tried any uncrimped bullets in my ARs, so I really cant say.

As far as the chamber goes, you should be fine. Your max length for the magazine is going to be short enough that you wont have to worry about being so long as to jam into the rifling.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Funny you stumbled on that load combination. I did a lot of load development for my .223's and the most accurate load I found for my rifles was with those same 65 SGKs and IMR 4320. I remember cross referencing data from Lyman and the hodgdon website using information for the 63gr and 69gr Sierra bullets. Then I started low and worked up until I hit a sweet spot. I never encountered any signs of low or high pressure. When I get home I'll post my data and a picture of the group.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975 View Post
Neck tension only may or may not keep that bullet in place. Theres alot of enertia present upon chambering and recoil. Keep an eye on them for bullet set back. I havent tried any uncrimped bullets in my ARs, so I really cant say.

As far as the chamber goes, you should be fine. Your max length for the magazine is going to be short enough that you wont have to worry about being so long as to jam into the rifling.
I usually don't crimp my .223 rounds. I haven't had a problem yet. I just keep an eye out for set back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdIron44 View Post
Funny you stumbled on that load combination. I did a lot of load development for my .223's and the most accurate load I found for my rifles was with those same 65 SGKs and IMR 4320. I remember cross referencing data from Lyman and the hodgdon website using information for the 63gr and 69gr Sierra bullets. Then I started low and worked up until I hit a sweet spot. I never encountered any signs of low or high pressure. When I get home I'll post my data and a picture of the group.
Awesome! Thanks!

Old 10-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 895 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I usually don't crimp my .223 rounds. I haven't had a problem yet. I just keep an eye out for set back.
Actually "set-Back" isn't as big a problem as forward creep. Bullets without adequate neck tension can actually creep forward when the action closes, some so much that the bullet come right out of the case.

I crimp all my semi-auto ammo with the Lee Factory Crimp die.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
Actually "set-Back" isn't as big a problem as forward creep. Bullets without adequate neck tension can actually creep forward when the action closes, some so much that the bullet come right out of the case.

I crimp all my semi-auto ammo with the Lee Factory Crimp die.
I plan on ordering a crimp die next time I order reloading supplies from Midway USA, but for now the bullets seem to stay where I set them.