Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Need help with .223 Recipe (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/need-help-223-recipe-99659/)

texaswoodworker 10-29-2013 05:20 AM

Need help with .223 Recipe

I'm working up a recipe for a good hunting round, but the data for the bullet I have is a little hard to find. I'm using IMR 4320 and a 65gr Sierra GameKing bullet.

This is the most useful source I have found for this data yet.

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/223rem-2005mar28.php

It doesn't list a 65gr GameKing, but it lists something called a 63gr SIE SP. I assume this means it's a Sierra Soft Point. Correct?

Here's what's listed.

Quote:

C.O.L. - 2.200"

Starting load - 23gr - 2733 FPS - 42,500 PSI

Max load - 25.5gr - 2975 FPS - 52,900 PSI

Would the data for this bullet be ok to use with the 65gr GameKing bullets?

bntyhntr6975 10-29-2013 06:09 AM

I believe that 63g Sierra is a semi-point. Still a soft point, just more rounded than the 65g spitzer youre wanting to load. As usual, the heavier the bullet, the less powder you put behind it. So you should be good assuming your start and max numbers are reduced a little. Actual length will be determined by the firearm chamber and magazine, im pretty sure you already know that but just in case.
Since there is no cannalure, i assume this is for a bolt gun? Otherwise, crimping for an auto is going to be difficult. Once again, just in case.
You can also contact Sierra and double check with them, never a bad idea anyway.

mseric 10-29-2013 10:09 AM

Sure, 2gr of bullet weight isn't going to affect much as far as powder charge goes. Just start low and work up.

jpattersonnh 10-29-2013 12:35 PM

The only issue you will find w/ IMR4320 in a .223 semi auto is cycling issues. It is a fine line on what will cycle and what will not. 4064 is more forgiving.

texaswoodworker 10-29-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975 (Post 1416741)
I believe that 63g Sierra is a semi-point. Still a soft point, just more rounded than the 65g spitzer youre wanting to load. As usual, the heavier the bullet, the less powder you put behind it. So you should be good assuming your start and max numbers are reduced a little. Actual length will be determined by the firearm chamber and magazine, im pretty sure you already know that but just in case.
Since there is no cannalure, i assume this is for a bolt gun? Otherwise, crimping for an auto is going to be difficult. Once again, just in case.
You can also contact Sierra and double check with them, never a bad idea anyway.

Awesome! The gun is an AR so IIRC, they have a longer chamber than a bolt gun correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseric (Post 1416786)
Sure, 2gr of bullet weight isn't going to affect much as far as powder charge goes. Just start low and work up.

Thanks. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 1416827)
The only issue you will find w/ IMR4320 in a .223 semi auto is cycling issues. It is a fine line on what will cycle and what will not. 4064 is more forgiving.

I normally use a flat base 55gr hollow point with 23-24gr (IIRC, I don't have my book handy) of IMR 4320. No cycling issues yet. :D

bntyhntr6975 10-29-2013 05:39 PM

Neck tension only may or may not keep that bullet in place. Theres alot of enertia present upon chambering and recoil. Keep an eye on them for bullet set back. I havent tried any uncrimped bullets in my ARs, so I really cant say.

As far as the chamber goes, you should be fine. Your max length for the magazine is going to be short enough that you wont have to worry about being so long as to jam into the rifling.

ColdIron44 10-29-2013 08:04 PM

Funny you stumbled on that load combination. I did a lot of load development for my .223's and the most accurate load I found for my rifles was with those same 65 SGKs and IMR 4320. I remember cross referencing data from Lyman and the hodgdon website using information for the 63gr and 69gr Sierra bullets. Then I started low and worked up until I hit a sweet spot. I never encountered any signs of low or high pressure. When I get home I'll post my data and a picture of the group.

texaswoodworker 10-29-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bntyhntr6975 (Post 1417019)
Neck tension only may or may not keep that bullet in place. Theres alot of enertia present upon chambering and recoil. Keep an eye on them for bullet set back. I havent tried any uncrimped bullets in my ARs, so I really cant say.

As far as the chamber goes, you should be fine. Your max length for the magazine is going to be short enough that you wont have to worry about being so long as to jam into the rifling.

I usually don't crimp my .223 rounds. I haven't had a problem yet. I just keep an eye out for set back. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdIron44 (Post 1417115)
Funny you stumbled on that load combination. I did a lot of load development for my .223's and the most accurate load I found for my rifles was with those same 65 SGKs and IMR 4320. I remember cross referencing data from Lyman and the hodgdon website using information for the 63gr and 69gr Sierra bullets. Then I started low and worked up until I hit a sweet spot. I never encountered any signs of low or high pressure. When I get home I'll post my data and a picture of the group.

Awesome! Thanks! :D

mseric 10-30-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1417230)
I usually don't crimp my .223 rounds. I haven't had a problem yet. I just keep an eye out for set back.

Actually "set-Back" isn't as big a problem as forward creep. Bullets without adequate neck tension can actually creep forward when the action closes, some so much that the bullet come right out of the case.

I crimp all my semi-auto ammo with the Lee Factory Crimp die.

texaswoodworker 10-30-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseric (Post 1417329)
Actually "set-Back" isn't as big a problem as forward creep. Bullets without adequate neck tension can actually creep forward when the action closes, some so much that the bullet come right out of the case.

I crimp all my semi-auto ammo with the Lee Factory Crimp die.

I plan on ordering a crimp die next time I order reloading supplies from Midway USA, but for now the bullets seem to stay where I set them.