Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Need .308 suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Need .308 suggestions

Picking up a new rifle on the 8th, and I need ammo advice.
Rifle is a Savage 10fcp in .308. Seller says 150gr worked fine out to about 300yds, but 168+ held groups far better past there. Purported accuracy potential of the gun is 1/3MOA at 300yds .
Probably going to go out and pop our cherry sometime the weekend following my pickup, and I'd like to find a round that will do the rifle justice, but preferrably not cost as much as the gun. I don't necessarily need top-notch competition ammo, as it is unlikely the shooter will be able to approach what the rifle OR the ammo are really capable of. I also don't really need heavier bullets, as its unlikely I'll get to shoot far past 100yds without ample scouting. Despite the limitations of my ability and my locale, I do want a round I can count on not to exacerbate my mistakes and impact as accurately as I send it.
TL;DR: .308 ammo with good quality/price ratio.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi thedaggle, My personal favorite factory loaded ammo (with reusable brass) is Prvi Partizan. It's Serbian ammo but it is uber consistent and reloadable. Even less expensive than that is steel cased Silver Bear. Very good for the money but non-reloadable. I keep repeating "reloadable" because it looks like you just picked up a rifle that is worthy of working up hand loads there! I have a Rem 700 SPS AAC SD that I just picked up last month so I will be going a similar route. Just waiting for the fundage to return so I can scope the thing with a good MOA/MOA reticle scope and quality 10-20MOA riser mount. When you get into handloading, the reading I have been doing points to Sierra Match King...

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
Hi thedaggle, My personal favorite factory loaded ammo (with reusable brass) is Prvi Partizan. It's Serbian ammo but it is uber consistent and reloadable. Even less expensive than that is steel cased Silver Bear. Very good for the money but non-reloadable. I keep repeating "reloadable" because it looks like you just picked up a rifle that is worthy of working up hand loads there! I have a Rem 700 SPS AAC SD that I just picked up last month so I will be going a similar route. Just waiting for the fundage to return so I can scope the thing with a good MOA/MOA reticle scope and quality 10-20MOA riser mount. When you get into handloading, the reading I have been doing points to Sierra Match King...
I've seen some great prices in Prvi, too. The great prices actually make me a little reticent about the bullets. How high can quality be at 68 cents a round? Well, what the heck! I'm sure the ammo's better than I am, so how will I know the difference?

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 01-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Also what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
I've seen some great prices in Prvi, too. The great prices actually make me a little reticent about the bullets. How high can quality be at 68 cents a round?
That was pretty much how my experience with Prvi started too. I bought some Prvi for outdoor shooting of my FNAR (with Leup MK4 CQB red dot) and the performance shocked me out to 200 yards (firing range max). So my Brother in law bought some for the 7mm Mag I gave him (he helped us move and had his eye on my Remmy 710 for boar hunting). Anyway, we went to the indoor 100yd range in Wichita, KS with it and were absolutely floored when it was keyholing at 100yards on my Lead Sled. He was sighting in the rifle and the damn thing was grouping that tight when we were shooting groups of 3 and evaluting zero. That same Rem 710 was shooting somewhere around 2MOA for me on a bench with Win Silver Box last year (okay for cheaper ammo and my shooting ability). That convinced me so I bought up all the .308 Prvi I could find locally for about $15/Box. I have half a case of Silverbear .308 and .223 that is pretty good too. It's a little more consistant than Wolf, IMHO, which is still pretty good. I just have to trash the cases when I'm done though :-( If you were local I would recommend another favorite to try called Ram Precision. They are also inexpensive but really good ammo. Basically, they load Hornady Match and A-max bullets in their cases for a very good price here in Kansas. They don't do internet or small quantity sales though :-( I use them for my personal defense ammo. I get a box of 50 124gr 9mm loaded with Speer Gold Dots for about $18.00. That's about half what 50/rd Federal Personal Defense or SXT costs. I have some of their match ammo that I bought for this 700 but have not shot it yet since I need a scope. If you pick some Prvi up, let me know how it worked for you in that Savage. Very interesting Rifle, BTW. It was on my short list before I picked up the 700 AAC SD. I'd like to have one still. I'd like one of everything though.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 AM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I also have a Savage 10fcp. My buddy, who used to shoot for the military, loaded these for me:

For reaching out and touching someone - 168 gr HPBT loaded with 48 gr. H4895, 2.755OAL, with CCI 250 Primer.

For hunting - 165 Gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 42 gr. IMR 4320, 2.800 OAL, CCI 250 Primer.

I know that is no help with commercial ammo, but I would recommend staying away from MagTec ammo in this rifle.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:17 AM   #6

Thanks, Dune. Copied and pasted.
Given the price of ammo and the fact that I now have something that I'd like to shoot tighter than Minute Of Zombie, I think a loading setup is going to be my next investment.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 AM   #7

I keep hearing the Federal Gold Match is hands-down the most accurate factory rifle ammo, but its looking to run me $32-35 a box, and I know I'm going to FEEL $1.34 flying down range every time I go bang

Old 01-31-2011, 04:49 AM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Look here: The Hunting Shack, Inc. - 308 Winchester

I've thought about these: HSM's Trophy Gold™ ammunition using Berger VLD bullets. Velocity: 2740 fps Barrel Length: 24"

Bullet B.C.: 0.473 Recommended Twist: 1 in 13" $29.36

Or these: HSM's Trophy Gold™ ammunition using Berger VLD bullets. Velocity: 2606 fps Barrel Length: 24"

Bullet B.C.: 0.549 Recommended Twist: 1 in 12" $29.93

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 01-31-2011 at 04:53 AM.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I would be looking at the Federal GMM 168gr or Black hills redbox 168gr Match ammo or if you want to stretch it out to a little further look at Black Hills redbox 175gr Match ammo. I know plenty of guys shooting F-Class with both federal and Black hills stuff and WINNING with it.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
I keep hearing the Federal Gold Match is hands-down the most accurate factory rifle ammo, but its looking to run me $32-35 a box, and I know I'm going to FEEL $1.34 flying down range every time I go bang
Yeah, I've heard really good things about it and the forementioned Blackhills. Another load that gets crazy good reviews is Bitterroot Valley. Unfortunately it all starts to get expensive in that accuracy range.