Neck Separation??? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Neck Separation???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 03:12 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks for the links. Much appreciated. Gary

Old 09-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #22

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Yea, the blackened necks are from the hot gasses coming around the case mouth, from a bad seal. Weaker loads or insufficient burn will cause that. But so will short sizing. Make sure you're sizing the case properly. Neck sizing only will have alot less gas residue even with a weak load, cuz the case is better fitting the chamber to begin with.
H-380 gave me pretty good results with 50g Combined Technologies, but IMR 4064 (cant remember the charge) really made it come together. Heres a 3 shot group at 100 with IMR 4064 and a 50g CT.

0223131652_0001.jpg
gwtx Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks BountyHunter
I have found some with "split" necks also. Only 3 or 4 cycles on the cases. Also, I see on some of the necks a "ring" at the junction of the shoulder/neck. I'm wondering if the chamber is not cut right. The necks of the cases are expanding .005 to .0055" when fired. That seems like a lot to me, but I don't know what is "normal". It looks like the back of the throat(?) has a sharp edge that is imprinting the shoulder/neck junction. Is that a possibility ? Thanks for the reply.
Wow! that's some kinda fine shooting. What kind of rifle?

Old 09-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #24

Its possible that your chamber was not finished correctly. Im sure theres ways to check but Im not sure how. A good gunsmith will be able to tho. Unless youre loading them real hot, should get a few more firings than that.
That little group was out of a Rem 700 SPS (mostly stock) off a bipod. Was still doing load developement, hence only 3 shots. Its actually a buddy's load for his TC Encore that I decided to try out just for grins. That night I ordered a few boxes of those bullets. Lol.
gwtx Likes This 
Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yesterday I loaded up some Hornady brass from a box of ammo I had bought. They had only been fired that one time. I polished the necks so there would be no scratches. I neck sized them with a lee collect sizer. I noticed 4 very faint lines from the "relief cuts" in the die. Not obvious unless you were looking really close, but could maybe cause a stress point that would "split" if loaded many times, and/or hot loads. I don't normally load hot. Usually 1 or 2 grains below max shoots the best for me in most of my rifles.
I loaded them with 36.0 gr Varget(max in some books), and a 55gr sierra hpbt. They shot well, not great, but about 1", didn't measure.
The neck were not blackened, but I could see that shiny little ring/indentation at the neck/shoulder junction. That's where the "cracks" have occurred in the Rem brass after a few firings.2-4 cycles.
I figured the throat would be pretty dirty due to the way the necks were smoked, and boy was it. I cleaned chamber and bore(380 is pretty dirty stuff anyway). I think if I stay around 35.8 on the varget, things will be OK. I need to shoot it some more and play with seating depths to get it shooting where I'd like for it to be. Thanks for the input/replies. Gary

I meant 35.8 gr varget.

Last edited by gwtx; 09-28-2013 at 03:12 AM. Reason: ignorance

Old 09-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #26

I use Remington cases almost exclusively, and have never had an issue. I use Redding dies and am unfamiliar with the Lee collet sizer.
When you were talking about the throat possibly causing your issue, I cant see how. The case shouldnt be able to extend into the throat. The throat is that little bit of 'free-bore' just ahead of the chamber, before the rifling. The area that your issue is in, is in the chamber. There should be no sharp edges or ridges in there. A good light shining up the barrel may let you see if theres an obvious problem. Or, look into having a cast of the chamber made. Its really sounding like maybe it didnt get finished correctly.
People Like This 
Old 09-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was referring to the "throat" out of ignorance. The best way I could describe it is " the junction where the neck meets the shoulder". That's where I see the little shiny ring. Not real obvious, have to use a magnifying glass to see it. I have 8 hornady cases that I started loading and shooting over and over( on the 4th cycle now), and will continue til I see if the same thing happens to them. I'm loading them with 35.5 to 36 gr varget, which is hotter than I was with the H380 38gr load. We'll see how it goes. Thanks, Gary

Old 09-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 358 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtx
I was referring to the "throat" out of ignorance. The best way I could describe it is " the junction where the neck meets the shoulder". That's where I see the little shiny ring. Not real obvious, have to use a magnifying glass to see it. I have 8 hornady cases that I started loading and shooting over and over( on the 4th cycle now), and will continue til I see if the same thing happens to them. I'm loading them with 35.5 to 36 gr varget, which is hotter than I was with the H380 38gr load. We'll see how it goes. Thanks, Gary

With these hotter loads, are you getting as much blackening on the necks?

Old 09-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1374 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
From his post #25.

Quote:
I loaded them with 36.0 gr Varget(max in some books), and a 55gr sierra hpbt. They shot well, not great, but about 1", didn't measure.
The neck were not blackened,
gwtx Likes This 
Old 09-29-2013, 02:32 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
kaido: The necks now look like they should, they are apparently sealing off as they should. I loaded and shot 10 rds today, and the cases look fine. They are on their 4th and 5th firing, and they are beginning to take a little more effort to close, and open the bolt. I'll do a full length resize before firing them again. No cracks or splits. I backed off to 35.8gr varget to see if the groups would improve. No, but it's still printing right around 1". Good enuff to put one in a hog. I'm thinking of trying some IMR 4064, or RL 15. I only have a little of each,and there's none to be found around these parts.
I'll post back as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the reply. Gary