Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   My reloading setup (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/my-reloading-setup-82793/)

longunner 01-29-2013 04:55 PM

My reloading setup

1 Attachment(s)
Just got my reloading setup in the mail today. I got it on Craigslist for $225 which included overnight shipping. The guy got a discount down from 70 bucks to $25 for his job what a score haha. Anyway do you guys think I got a good deal on everything? All I need now is projectiles primers and powder and a powder throw then I'll be off and running. Oh and those dies are .223 carbide dies which is a pretty good score for these days.

Txhillbilly 01-31-2013 03:08 AM

What brand are the dies?
Carbide rifle dies aren't cheap,and you'll find out real fast if they aren't carbide-You'll get a stuck case in the sizing die.

dog2000tj 01-31-2013 03:54 AM

ok, first up I want 400rds of 350gr .458SOCOM ... followed by 1000rds of .308W ... and lastly about 4000rds of 5.56Nato :D

let me know where to mail the empties ;)

longunner 01-31-2013 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj
ok, first up I want 400rds of 350gr .458SOCOM ... followed by 1000rds of .308W ... and lastly about 4000rds of 5.56Nato :D

let me know where to mail the empties ;)

Send me a spikes tactical, a WASR and a repeal of New Yorks new BS gun laws and ill have it at your house the next day with a big pretty bow on it :cool:

longunner 01-31-2013 04:01 AM

The dies are the 2 piece standard lyman

I was told they were carbide by the seller I have yet to do any loading...

dog2000tj 01-31-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNARG (Post 1117441)
Send me a spikes tactical, a WASR and a repeal of New Yorks new BS gun laws and ill have it at your house the next day with a big pretty bow on it :cool:

can't help you with the first 2 :o but I'm doing everything I can with the last 1 ;)

Cattledog 01-31-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNARG (Post 1117441)

Ok...now thats price gouging. Political action for ammo??! what a rip off!

blucoondawg 01-31-2013 04:20 AM

That doesn't look like too bad a price for what you have there and fast shipping, you got a couple items that didn't come with my RCBS kit (calipers, powder trickle, case trimmer, dies), what brand is the grey colored press, trimmer, scale? This setup will probably work fine for 223 and other smaller shells but if you want to start doing larger stuff with heavy full length sizing you may want to consider a "O" frame press as they can take the pressures much better without flexing or breaking. If you were to ad another heavier press you could still keep the "C" frame one you have there for a bullet seating press or whatever. I have the Rock Chucker Supreme Kit and I would like to ad another press to my setup just to have one for bullet seating.

longunner 01-31-2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucoondawg
That doesn't look like too bad a price for what you have there and fast shipping, you got a couple items that didn't come with my RCBS kit (calipers, powder trickle, case trimmer, dies), what brand is the grey colored press, trimmer, scale? This setup will probably work fine for 223 and other smaller shells but if you want to start doing larger stuff with heavy full length sizing you may want to consider a "O" frame press as they can take the pressures much better without flexing or breaking. If you were to ad another heavier press you could still keep the "C" frame one you have there for a bullet seating press or whatever. I have the Rock Chucker Supreme Kit and I would like to ad another press to my setup just to have one for bullet seating.

The scale, press, and trimmer are all Lyman. I'm sure they came as a set back whenever the guy bought them. After talking to the guy who sold them to me he said the press was sent back to the Factory for one reason or another and they sent him a new one. I got this setup to load .223 and .308...think it would be ok to load .308 on it?

blucoondawg 01-31-2013 04:37 AM

Ya it would load 308 fine I'm sure, just watch what's going on when ur working it, see if you are having to put a lot of force on it which may cause it to flex or possibly break, I'm sure it will be fine for 223 or even some 308 but if you are going to be doing a lot of loading or want to load some bigger stuff look into adding the "O" frame press, they're much stronger and will last forever. What you have there is a fine set to start out with.