my first successful reload, tell me what you think - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > my first successful reload, tell me what you think

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 03:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

is there anything I have to worry about if the crimp is a little bit too tight but the bullet seats fine? because I tightened it quite a bit.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:25 AM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If you over crimp you can cause it to not headspace correctly. Most of your rimed handgun cartridges like the 9mm and 45acp headspace off the casemouth so the proper amount of headspace is critical.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Head space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
If you over crimp you can cause it to not headspace correctly. Most of your rimed handgun cartridges like the 9mm and 45acp headspace off the casemouth so the proper amount of headspace is critical.
+1 For Tango on case head space. "Rimless" case design is very dependent on amount of crimp for proper head space. As stated before, an overall cartridge case gauge comes in handy for checking this critical spec. Another way (that's more work) to do this is to field strip your weapon, drop in a factory load, and check the clearance to the end of the barrel. With a clean barrel, the cart. will go in, fall out easy. Adjust your taper crimp on your hand loads so that the reloaded cart. will drop in and out just as easy. Use your dial caliper to measure overall length of your loaded cart. also, and adjust per spec. for that exact bullet, out of a quality load book, like Speer,Sierra, Hornady,Lyman, etc. I really like Lyman's 48th Edition Reloading Handbook, as it is full of info. on all loads-jacketed+cast. Check for this book at your local library=You'll probably want to buy one HA

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 03-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will do that test with the field stripped bullet for sure but assuming the bullet goes in the barrel just the same as the factory load does is where my question lies...

perhaps either im not understanding what you guys are saying, or you aren't understanding what I am asking because I am asking it wrong but what Im wondering is; is it possible to have not enough flare at the head of the cartridge?

I know now from experience that it is possible to have too much flare so i tightened it quite a bit, but is it possible to have it too tight? or is the rule of thumb that as long as it is big enough for the bullet to seat properly, its ok?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #15

Ogive on your bullets and the factory are different. That makes the seating depth look different when they're actually about the same.

45 ACP wouldn't be my first pick for a load -- or 9mm, or any semi-auto "rimless." They headspace on the case mouth and so you need cases trimmed to the right length and crimped to the specified dia.

Can't do it without a caliper.

Easly loader is 38 Spl / 357 mag. That's all "eyeball" stuff and not at all critical.

Last edited by SlamFire; 03-23-2009 at 07:10 AM.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #16

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
I will do that test with the field stripped bullet for sure but assuming the bullet goes in the barrel just the same as the factory load does is where my question lies...

perhaps either im not understanding what you guys are saying, or you aren't understanding what I am asking because I am asking it wrong but what Im wondering is; is it possible to have not enough flare at the head of the cartridge?

I know now from experience that it is possible to have too much flare so i tightened it quite a bit, but is it possible to have it too tight? or is the rule of thumb that as long as it is big enough for the bullet to seat properly, its ok?
yes you can have two little bell on the case mouth. When this happens you will see a little roll of copper at the case mouth. If you are shooting platted bullets like Berry's of Rainer they will wrinkle like an old person. The case mouth should have just enough bell so that the bullet sets in the case mouth but not so much as that you can very easily see it with your nekkied eye.

Reloading pistol ammo can be frustrating to say the least with belling crimping powder that doesn't fill the case ect...... Take it slow and don't be afraid to screw up just make sure you catch your screw up before you blow your hand off.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Yes you can have too tight of crimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post

As noted by Tango, you need just enough "Bell" to your primed cases, to start the bullet tip to case, without shaving the bullet when seating. Also,YES you can have too much taper crimp, after seating bullet to case. This will cause the load to go too far into chamber=NOT enough headspace. Back off your crimp die-insert loaded uncrimped round-adjust down crimp die to touch firmly on said round at the top of the press stroke-adjust in crimp die 1/4 turn at a time, until load will drop in+fall out of the chamber of your barrel easy. After you reach this point, tighten down the lock ring and you are good to go. If you stay in reloading game, Juice, you will want to buy those additional tools as mentioned before

NRA Life MEMBER 1976