Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   my first successful reload, tell me what you think (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/my-first-successful-reload-tell-me-what-you-think-12020/)

roosterjuicer 03-19-2009 08:21 PM

my first successful reload, tell me what you think

1 Attachment(s)
as you know ive had a bit of an ongoing saga with reloading the last couple days but ive finally got some finished product, tell me what you think. the gold looking bullet is a factory bullet, the copper ones are my reloads.

tell me what you think

am i in good shape? or should i seat them just a little bit higher?

hunter Joe 03-19-2009 10:58 PM

There beautiful, good job. Let us know how they chamber and fire.
Seat them at or slightly below what the reload manual tell you. If you get them too high for an auto-loading firearm, they won't fit in the magazine. You need a length gauge or a caliper veneer for measuring OAL (over all length).

roosterjuicer 03-19-2009 11:01 PM

thanks joe:D. considering the factory rounds chamber just fine, shouldn't these also considering they are pretty close to the same?

what kinds of things affect chambering?

hunter Joe 03-19-2009 11:46 PM

If the brass is not re-sized properly this will affect chambering. It is important to get the bullet seating die adjusted to the proper height off the shell holder. Too low and you can squash the cartridge and make the case bulge, believe me I have done it. Every dimension of the cartridge should be measured with a veneer or micrometer when starting and occasionally throughout the reloading process. Joe

Alway feel free to E-Mail me. khunterjoe@aol.com If I can I will gladly help.

BILLYBOB44 03-20-2009 12:22 AM

Good looking loads!

Good job, juice. Once you got all the kinks worked out, your loads look good. I will agree with hunter joe on you needing a caliper to measure your cart, overall length. The overall length is a VERY important spec. in hand loading. I seat all bullets to the spec. listed in the load books, for that particular bullet. All load books that I have read for the 9mm, tell you to NOT seat deeper than specs. for that bullet. Bullets seated too deep will increase the pressure of the load. Some times to an unsafe level. Your loads in pict. look good .I usually keep around various factory loads to set the seater punch on my hand loads. Use your Gold bullet factory load for adjustments for your hand loads. The rule of thumb is=Too long+will not fit magazine--Too short+will have too HI of pressure. Seat bullets in a semi-auto deep enough to not hang in your magazine, and you'll be OK. Keep up the GOOD work:D

roosterjuicer 03-20-2009 01:20 AM

thanks Billy Bob any encouragement is good.

I have cranked out about 40. and despite a few kinks and problems I have really enjoyed it. its definitely a fun hobby, i can see how some people get obsessed with it haha.

BILLYBOB44 03-20-2009 02:43 AM

An ideal tool

Juice, I don't remember if I mentioned or not, but a great little accessory to hand loading is a loaded cart. case gauge. All it is, is a sleeve of metal, that has the exact inside case dimensions of the cal. that you are loading. Put the loaded round in the tool, and the round should go in below flush. If it does, it will fit any gun in that cal. The stainless ones from Dillon are $12.95 each. If you contact Dillon at Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders They will send you a Great little catalogue, that has all of their toys listed=neat little book!:D If/when you get the tool, in 9mm, place a loaded factory round in it, and you will see how all of your handloads should fit in also.;)

roosterjuicer 03-20-2009 02:54 AM

that sounds awsome billybob. do you know what the name of the tool is?

say the bullets fit and feed right and everything, what kind of stuff will effect the accuracy?

roosterjuicer 03-20-2009 07:32 PM

range report: i shot 40 today down at the range and I the gun jammed a few times on me. mostly failure to feed. i looked at the casings and it looks like maybe they arent crimped quite enough and thus there was too big of a lip around where the bullet meets the casing. I adjusted my reloader and ill give you guys an update either this weekend or wednesday.

is there anything else that could be causing feeding issues? I have the minimum powder ammount in, should i maybe give just a little bit more powder or should I wait and see what my crimping adjustments do for me?

cpttango30 03-22-2009 02:36 AM

try tightening up your crimp a little maybe 1/4 turn or 1/8 turn and try it again. I found that even a little off on the crimp and it can screw up the chambering.