Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > My First Castings..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 692 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 705

Default My First Castings..

A friend of mine casts his own bullets, and he let me make some... I ended up making about 16 pounds (about 8 lbs. of .45 and 8 lbs. of .30) Heres the first castings ive done.. Ones a 250 gr. .45 "Keith" style, other one is a 180 gr. .30 "bore-rider", I plan on using in my Winnie 1895.. I figured I should shoot some kind of pointed bullet outta my 1895 instead of using the flat pointed ones for tube fed guns. (Thats what made the Win '95 "special")

107_5509.jpg   107_5512.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Nice looking 45 castings. I don't know to much about the process of casting but they look pretty nice. Thanks for sharing

Old 09-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

They look pretty good to me, but I'm semi clueless.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Thanks!! Not much to it..... Pour the hot lead in the mold, bullets come out..

The .45's are as they came from the mold, the .30's are tumble lubed and sized to .308...

I find its another interesting aspect of shooting. I cant wait till my next batch of reloads!! Im thinkin' the '95 will like the heavier pointed bullet.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #5

My congrats. It's addictive though.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:53 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I got your Antimony right here!

If you weigh them on a good scale, you might be able to sort them by weight if you're an accuracy freak.

I cast some conical minie balls for an 1861 rifle musket once and it was much fun. They looked like this:

Be Well.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2582 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 197

What alloy are you using? I blend Virgin, Wheel Weights and Linotype at varying ratios for expected velocities. I have never been a fan of the "tumble lube" process. Too messy for me. I prefer to use a heated lubrisizer and high temp lube for less mess. The rifle bullets you showed are a gas check design. Is there any reason you did not use a gas check? They are not mandatory but allow much more velocity.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #8

Im not sure of the alloy... like I said it was from a friends setup, I think its mostly wheel weights with something else. the bullets were dropped into water as well. The tumble lube sucks but my friends lubeisizer is all gummed up and needs fixed, so thats what I had to use.
I just plan on shooting the .30's outta my 1895 using reduced loads with Trail Boss. I like taking it easy with the ole' rifle......

Old 09-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #9

Liked 1660 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

Even at low power loads a gas check will keep your barrel much cleaner. Less lead build up that is.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One of the first things you are going to want to do is "slug" your barrels. Get exact dimensions of it so you can properly size your cast bullet. You will generally get best performance and least amount of leading if you size your bullet to .001-.002 over bore size. With proper fit and even air cooled wheelweights (clip-on lead ones), you should be able to get 1400 fps with virtually no leading, even if you use the liquid Alox. Put a gas check on it and a decent lube and you are good for up to around 2300-2400 fps without leading. If you have a slow twist, you can get more velocity without leading than you can with a faster twist.

Casting bullets can be very addictive. It can be very fun or it can be very frustrating. Be careful an follow guidelines closely and it will be one of the most rewarding addictions, I mean hobbies you have ever encountered.

Be safe and have fun!