Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   My 6.5-06 dies are finally in stock. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/my-6-5-06-dies-finally-stock-100589/)

Txhillbilly 11-21-2013 12:24 AM

My 6.5-06 dies are finally in stock.

I've been waiting for several month's to get a set of Redding Type S Bushing 3-Die set for the 6.5-06 that I'm going to build out of my Savage 110FLP 300 WM.
Midway sent me an email today,and I placed an order for them and some bushings when I got home from work.
6.5-06 dies have been very hard to find,and I really don't know why. Several companies make them,and it's a wildcat caliber,so not everyone is trying to buy a set of them everyday.
The bad thing about buying wildcat caliber dies,is the price. This set was 123.99,plus another 14.99 per bushing to size the neck of the case.

If I use 30/06 brass for the 6.5-06 cases,I'll also need to buy a neck reamer to keep from having high pressure issues from having thick necks.
I can resize 25/06 cases,and be good to go,but since I shoot my 25/06 often,I'd probably spend more on some Nosler brass,and just keep it separate from my Winchester brass that I use in my 25/06.

Now,I just have to decide on which brand of barrel to use on this build,and order it. I'm planning on using a Magnum contour barrel on this rifle,and use it mainly for hunting.

texaswoodworker 11-28-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 1436794)
I've been waiting for several month's to get a set of Redding Type S Bushing 3-Die set for the 6.5-06 that I'm going to build out of my Savage 110FLP 300 WM.
Midway sent me an email today,and I placed an order for them and some bushings when I got home from work.
6.5-06 dies have been very hard to find,and I really don't know why. Several companies make them,and it's a wildcat caliber,so not everyone is trying to buy a set of them everyday.
The bad thing about buying wildcat caliber dies,is the price. This set was 123.99,plus another 14.99 per bushing to size the neck of the case.

If I use 30/06 brass for the 6.5-06 cases,I'll also need to buy a neck reamer to keep from having high pressure issues from having thick necks.
I can resize 25/06 cases,and be good to go,but since I shoot my 25/06 often,I'd probably spend more on some Nosler brass,and just keep it separate from my Winchester brass that I use in my 25/06.

Now,I just have to decide on which brand of barrel to use on this build,and order it. I'm planning on using a Magnum contour barrel on this rifle,and use it mainly for hunting.

Good luck on the build. Don't forget the pics. :D

Txhillbilly 11-28-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1443208)
Good luck on the build. Don't forget the pics. :D

The build is still a few months off. I should be ordering my stock from Richards Microfit Stocks in a couple weeks,and that will take about 2-3 months to receive it. Then I'll have to do the final fitting,sanding,bedding,and finish on the stock.
I'll be calling Hart Barrel's next week,and see what kind of deal I can get on the barrel,along with a time frame for delivery.
Right now Shilen is saying 16-24 weeks,and McGowen is 14-16 weeks for a custom barrel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1443353)
MidwayUSA carries the Quality Cartridge brand that are headstamped with 6.5-06.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/977063/quality-cartridge-reloading-brass-65mm-06-a-square-box-of-20

looking forward to the build-up Hillbilly.

Axxe,I'd rather resize brass than buy that stuff.
I already form all of my 260 Remington,7mm-08,and some of my 6.5 Creedmoor brass,so adding another to the line up won't be a problem.

I keep all of my formed brass in labeled ammo cases,so getting some mixed up is a very low possibility for me.