Multiple Powder Measures
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Multiple Powder Measures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 318 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default Multiple Powder Measures

How many of you are running multiple powder measures?

I currently have a Lee Auto Disk for pistol and a bench mounted Hornady for rifle. I'm considering buying Lee Auto Disk measures for the 3 pistol calibers and getting separate adjustment measures for each rifle calibers. This would allow me to keep the various powder measures setup and cut down on having to readjust to dial things in every time I switch calibers.

It is kind of a pain to have to clean out the powder measure to switch powders and get everything dialed back in. I usually take the powder measure to the garage to blow it out with compressed air. I don't want to cross contaminate with different powders.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

There is an old rule about having only one powder on the bench at a time.......Just make sure you understand this.Am not commenting on how anyone "manages" their own reloading bench,just make sure you understand the why's and wheres concerning it.

To your question of multiples......our bench has

1 Lyman 55,3 Lyman pistol measures,2 RCBS.

The 55 is used for cast bullet pwdrs in rifles only.The pistol measures never get their rotors swapped out,they're for specific loads.The two RCBS measures,have sm rotor in one lrge rotor in other.These last two are the ones that get used for chasin loads N nodes.

Well theres another on the big Pacific 366,but it stays the same 95% of the time.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 318 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Yours sounds like what I am leaning towards. I'm thinking of getting Lee Auto Disks for all of my pistol dies. These would stay attached to the die in the turret and stay set. All I'd have to do is add powder and the charge would be set.

With the Hornady, I would really like to buy multiples of the measure and leave them setup for the caliber that they reload. That way I could mount them on the stand and add the appropriate powder.

Changing out the powder and resetting the powder measure is the biggest pain about reloading so far. Especially with the Lee powder measures.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5535 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Well, if you have a good plan to keep from mixing things up, go for it.

If I could afford a Dillon Super 1050 for each caliber, I reload, I'd do it!

Winston Churchill