Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Most reliable bulk .45 acp (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/most-reliable-bulk-45-acp-37983/)

Scratchammo 02-05-2011 06:45 PM

Most reliable bulk .45 acp

I'm looking to stock up on some 230 gr fmj's, anyone know which brand is the most consistent? Which brand should I be weary of?

NGIB 02-05-2011 06:48 PM

I've shot a bunch of GA Arms bulk ammo with good results. I generally just get whats on the shelf at Walmart unless I see a special...

Scratchammo 02-05-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 437798)
I've shot a bunch of GA Arms bulk ammo with good results. I generally just get whats on the shelf at Walmart unless I see a special...

What brand of ammo do you get at walmart?

Jpyle 02-05-2011 06:52 PM

Not being a hard core 1911 guy I cannot answer your question directly but I do believe that the "right" ammo is a gun and mag specific thing...there is no universal best ammo answer.

You will need to experiment with different brand and mag combinations to find that optimal mix that works 100% of the time. That being said other more experienced folks may have some better advice for you...

Scratchammo 02-05-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 437801)
Not being a hard core 1911 guy I cannot answer your question directly but I do believe that the "right" ammo is a gun and mag specific thing...there is no universal best ammo answer.

You will need to experiment with different brand and mag combinations to find that optimal mix that works 100% of the time. That being said other more experienced folks may have some better advice for you...

I get where you're coming from. Basically I'm looking for ammo with the fewest misfires or delayed discharges.

Overkill0084 02-05-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchammo (Post 437804)
I get where you're coming from. Basically I'm looking for ammo with the fewest misfires or delayed discharges.

I've used WWB & Wally World Federal and never had any of those problems. The only issues I've had were self inflicted with less than perfect reloads (feed issues). I would think that misfires are pretty rare in modern ammo as a rule. I can't recall one with centerfire ammo in my (limited) experience. Feed issues are another matter if you stray from FMJ RN, you may find ammo that your gun doesn't like.

masterPsmith 02-05-2011 07:59 PM

I usually load 1000 to 2000 rounds at a time for mine and thats the most reliable bulk ammo I've found.

Jim..............

Car54 02-05-2011 09:07 PM

I use WWB (100 rd. value pack) from the mart of Wal or UMC whatever I can get for the best price.

NGIB 02-05-2011 10:15 PM

I've never had any problems with any commercial ammo I've bought. I used to shoot a lot of Blazer aluminum when it was available cheap. Some is maybe cleaner than others but I have had no ammo related failures at all and I've shot a lot of .45 in the past few years...

Ruzai 02-06-2011 04:42 PM

All commercial ammo sold at walmart are made to cycle even though they are the low end target ammo. Walrmart doesnt tend to carry crappy ammo because they dont want to hear complaints about malfunctions, the same can be applied to the shotgun ammo as well.
My personal opinion is the only way you can be 99% sure your ammo will go bang is to relaod it yourself with a high quality control.