Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Which is the most accuarte reloading manual?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which is the most accuarte reloading manual?

Hi Guys,
I am new to reloading and I was told by whom I conceder a master at this to get two to three separate books and compare what they say in regards to weight, size and powder as well which to use.
I have a special problem because as I am finding out a lot of companies as well as magazines, and manuals don't have any information on Desert Eagles, especially the AE50 cal.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Latest manual (Lyman, RCBS, Sierra, or any of the powder manuf's) will have what you need. I don't think any one is "better" or "more accurate" than the others. You need to work up a load that works for you in your gun.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

My manuals include the following.
1. Sierra 4th Edition
2. Sierra 5th Edition
3. Hornady 7th Edition
4. Hodgdon yearly manual
5. Percision Loading
6. Lyman 49th edition
7. MidwayUSA Load map 45acp
8. Loadbooks USA 45acp

The one I like the best is the Sierra 5th edition. I like this book because it has the most extensive line up of cartridges and it gives you a most accurat load and a hunting load for each bullet (Unless they are MatchKings). My number 2 book would have to be the Hornady manual.

Each manual is going to have different load data for the same bullet and cartridge listed. So you will have to deal with that. Now all manufactures are working with the same lot of powder nor the smae equipment. SAMMI sets the guide lines and they build their equipment to meet them.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:30 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madodge68 View Post
Hi Guys,
I am new to reloading and I was told by whom I conceder a master at this to get two to three separate books and compare what they say in regards to weight, size and powder as well which to use.
I have a special problem because as I am finding out a lot of companies as well as magazines, and manuals don't have any information on Desert Eagles, especially the AE50 cal.
My 2001 Accurate Powder manual shows two loadings for the Desert Eagle 50AE but both are for one bullet type the SPR 325 U-C

OAL= 1.575"
Accurate No.9 23.8 Grains = Vel.1247fps
Accurate 1680 37.9 Grains = Vel.1305 fps
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-15-2008, 03:34 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your friend gives good advice. Review data from several sources before settling on which data to use. Load data varies a lot, mostly from variables like some using short test barrels and some using longer ones (e.g., testing 6.5 Swede loads in a M94 w/ 17-inch barrel vs. a M96 w/ 29-inch barrel). I have most all of the manuals, but use the Speer and Lyman manuals most often. I also use the Sierra and Hornady manuals, but less often.

The Lee manual sucks, as far as the load data is concerned (waaay conservative compared to all others), but has tons of valuable formulas and other how-to info. One book nobody else will mention is called Modern Handloading by Geroge Nonte. Not a traditional load data book, but has good how-to information not found in any of the traditional manuals (like how to safely develop loads when you have no data). It's been long out of print, but can be had inexpensively from the Amazon used books section.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 08-16-2008, 12:51 AM   #6

Thank you all for the information. I will search for a couple and like you guys said go from there and load a few and test them, add or subtract as needed.
Thanks again

Old 08-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madodge68 View Post
Thank you all for the information. I will search for a couple and like you guys said go from there and load a few and test them, add or subtract as needed.
Thanks again
I pick two manuals and load between the lowest low and highest high. Then I watch to see if their are signs of pressure. I normaly load right in the middle of the two.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Hodgdon's 2008 Annual Manual RELOADING on page177 list two powders for the 325 Gr bullet used in a 50 Action Express round. Over the years I have gotten all of the major reloading manuals but for $ 7.99 the Hodgdon's is a good buy.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:11 AM   #9

Where did you get the manuals?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #10

I've got: Speer, Sierra, and Hornady sitting on the shelf across the room. Usually, I begin with the Speer manual which is an excellent, easy to read, and informative text.

Reloading Manuals

Last edited by G21.45; 08-21-2008 at 12:19 PM.