Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Monarch Ammunition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Monarch Ammunition

Has anyone seen Monarch ammunition anywhere besides academy sports + outdoors?

From what I heard, Monarch is made by the same people that makes wolf, brown bear or golden bear. The rounds have a steel case and come in calibers from 223 - 30-30 or 30-06. I know it comes in 30-30 because I have a box of it. And I think I saw a box of 30-06 at academy, but not sure.

Anyway - the reason why I am asking is because monarch cost about the same as wolf. I have been shooting the stuff for about 2 - 3 years and have never had any problems. But I can not find it anywhere else besides Academy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2008, 04:25 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

haven't seen it, haven't tried it. I've only been once to my closest Academy Sports store. They have a lot of stuff for the shooter for sure!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #3

I've used Monarch 357, 38, 45 rounds. The last 357 rounds I used, the primers backed out and jammed two pistols. I refuse to use "cheap" ammo after that. Cost $100 to disassemble the weapons. In my book the dirty powder, reliability, and maintence is not worth it. On Academy's behalf, they stood behind the damages and kept me as a customer.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2265 Times on 1190 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Who charged you $100 to disassemble a revolver to get a blown primer out. I would not use that gunsmith again, that is gouging! I would charge about $20 for something that simple.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Monarch ammunition is made for Academy Sports and Outdoors, it is there store brand. Most of it is made by Prvi Partizan, but the steel case stuff is made by Wolf. Wolf is made in The old Soviet Union, where ever they can have it made, and Prvi is made in Serbia. I never shoot steel cased anything in anything I own, but if I were to own a Chinese or Russian AK they are made for steel cased ammo. I stay away from Academy also (I worked there for a time for the discount they had) but they thrive on children in high school and college, and management deals with them by being pushy and just fire a prt time employee if they don't like them (the unemployment insurance is cheap) and most of the stuff they sell is Chinese crap anyway. Being retired from the Army I will never let some small minded little czar push me ever again, LOL, got my fill in the Army.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:18 AM   #6

Default If your looking for another...

..source of ammo versus going downtown try luckygunner.com. I've always had bad luck getting ammo frl Wal-Mart and other stores and decided to give luckgunner a try. Fast service, lots of in-stock ammo, and on time delivery.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #7

Default Monarch ammunition

Kev, I am new to this forum. I saw your post about monarch, I use it all the time and never have any issues with it. It is made in Serbia by PriviPartisan and the brass rounds of all calibers are fine. The steel is OK but still appears to be lacquered rather than polymer coated like the cheaper Russian brands. Clean your guns and you'll be GTG. Tula is polymer coated and feeds better but is really dirty/sooty/carbon dirty. I like to shoot cheap cause I can shoot more