Moly-coating?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Moly-coating?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Default Moly-coating?

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of moly-coating? List of equipment, technical application, and where to buy materials.I think I can take care of the rest. I am interested in learning, so I can do my .224 and 308win rounds.(Both AR platforms)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5655 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

im not convinced its worth the effort.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Go with HBN (Hex Boron Nitride )

Old 11-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts

After I had put around a thousand rounds through my AR a friend recommended that I moly my reloads for a higher FPS so I did... That's not the result I experienced... The difference in speed wasn't noticeable but what I have noticed in the long term was barrel life seemed to improve... For the AR I used aerosol moly in a spray can and just sprayed it on the loaded ammo (100 rounds) and then shot em through my rifle. I also took the rest of the can and sprayed it straight down the barrel of my old bolt action savage as well as my oldest glock pistol plugging the breech end to contain it all in the barrels. I let them sit for a week or so before running a bore snake through em to get the extra material out. I have since put over 5000 rounds each through both my AR and my glock the savage got maybe 2000 rounds in the course of that time plus the thousands more before I moly'ed it... And I can say that all three barrels are still in phenomenal shape with bright and shinny bores and crisp clean rifling (except the glock).... The only downside I've seen with it is I've never been able to pull an absolutely clean patch through any of them ever again but I was warned of that ahead of time and am ok with it.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Shooting the same bullet's with the same powder charge,every moly coated bullet that I've ever shot was actually a lot slower than a non-coated bullet. Usually around 100 fps slower out of the same rifle.
Accuracy was almost the same,but the velocities were slower with the moly coated bullets.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
Shooting the same bullet's with the same powder charge,every moly coated bullet that I've ever shot was actually a lot slower than a non-coated bullet. Usually around 100 fps slower out of the same rifle. Accuracy was almost the same,but the velocities were slower with the moly coated bullets.
I gained maybe 15-20fps over the non moly

Old 11-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCakie
I gained maybe 15-20fps over the non moly
Coulda totally be blamed on the powder measure or just the 5 I put through the crony

Old 11-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of moly-coating? List of equipment, technical application, and where to buy materials.I think I can take care of the rest. I am interested in learning, so I can do my .224 and 308win rounds.(Both AR platforms)
Read this;
http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletcoating.html

Old 11-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Thank you everyone for you replies. I do not know if the effort is worth the financial amount but being retired and reloading as a hobby I will give it a try. Seems like from what little I have read the HBN my be worth the first effort. Once again thanks to everyone.