moding fmj hand gun amo - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

moding fmj hand gun amo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wouldn't do it. Many good reasons are listed above. Another consideration is the jacket on a FMJ round wasn't designed to peel back and let the core expand. even if the core doesn't stick in the barrel you may accomplish nothing but making a non-expanding bullet lighter.

I wouldn't worry about lightening the bullet. I don't know of any 9mm round that requires less powder with a similar, but lighter bullet.

As a boy I flat-pointed many a .22lr. I swore then they were more devastating than the ones I hadn't filed, but in hindsight I'm not so sure. I do think even now it is much safer to try this on .22lr cartridges. The heeled bullet will keep you from seating it deeper when you are filing or drilling and they're not jacketed anyway.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #22

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45
I wouldn't do it. Many good reasons are listed above. Another consideration is the jacket on a FMJ round wasn't designed to peel back and let the core expand. even if the core doesn't stick in the barrel you may accomplish nothing but making a non-expanding bullet lighter.

I wouldn't worry about lightening the bullet. I don't know of any 9mm round that requires less powder with a similar, but lighter bullet.

As a boy I flat-pointed many a .22lr. I swore then they were more devastating than the ones I hadn't filed, but in hindsight I'm not so sure. I do think even now it is much safer to try this on .22lr cartridges. The heeled bullet will keep you from seating it deeper when you are filing or drilling and they're not jacketed anyway.
Oh, I don't disagree...I just thought it was funny that we had a thread going on this, and then "voila'!" Leave it to SG!

That said, I'm not so sure that some's assertion that hitting the primer would NECESSARILY cause it to go off. I mean, have you seen a round that has been chambered then ejected without being fired from an AR? First time I saw it, I'll have to say it caused my keister to "slam shut"

Anyway, yeah....to your point, I'm firmly in the "bad idea" camp.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #23

Liked 148 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Just wanted to add something here... going through a catalog that came in the mail yesterday and lo and behold DIY hollow point maker kit on sale for $21.97. Two choices of calibers, .22 or 7.62x25. Made in the USA. I guess my idea wasn't so stupid after all. I get my scanner working I'll try to post a photo of the ad.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Something that hasn't been mentioned:

FMJ bullets are made by putting lead into a "cup" of jacketing material
and forming, leaving the lead exposed at the base.

Hollowpoints are formed in much the same way, but the base is covered
and the exposed lead is at the tip.

If you make a hollowpoint out of a FMJ, you end up with a tube of
jacketing material surrounding a core with lead exposed at both
ends.

The tube (jacket) can stick in the bore, blowing the core out the muzzle.
Next shot with the jacketing tube stuck in the bore? That's how
people get nicknames like stubby.
I was waiting to see if anyone thought of this. Few old hack gun cranks of yesteryear like myself remember this downside of drilling a fmj bullet. However if the fmj bullet has a encapulated base, as so many do today, it SHOULD be safe to drill a fmj bullet. On the market now is just such a tool to drill a 7.62x25 fmj and make a hollowpoint. I cant remember where I saw it for sale. It might have been in Sportmans Guide.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck
Just wanted to add something here... going through a catalog that came in the mail yesterday and lo and behold DIY hollow point maker kit on sale for $21.97. Two choices of calibers, .22 or 7.62x25. Made in the USA. I guess my idea wasn't so stupid after all. I get my scanner working I'll try to post a photo of the ad.
Look a few posts back...

Old 01-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #26

Liked 148 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Yep, saw it now, sorry I didn't know this thing had this much life in it after it got moved. Very interesting to see all the different responses I really like the ones that say you'll go BOOM if you try it. I for one gave up experimenting with dangerous stuff after I survived childhood fairly intact. Now before I do anything questionable I do research first and it's got me through more then half a century with all my parts still as original equipment.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck
Yep, saw it now, sorry I didn't know this thing had this much life in it after it got moved. Very interesting to see all the different responses I really like the ones that say you'll go BOOM if you try it. I for one gave up experimenting with dangerous stuff after I survived childhood fairly intact. Now before I do anything questionable I do research first and it's got me through more then half a century with all my parts still as original equipment.
Without an ignition source, I doubt one would explode. Even if the primer was impacted, (unless impacted deeply enough, like a firing pin would do) I don't think it would go off.

But there are many good reasons to buy HP ammo, instead of modding fmj, in my opinion.

Last edited by Chandler51; 01-26-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 AM   #28

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Y would you wana do this to a 22? You can get a box of 500 hallow points for 20 bucks

Old 01-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3582 Times on 1838 Posts
Likes Given: 399

It's called a field expedient. Sure you can get "hallow" (hollow?) points for about the same price as solids, but what if you cannot get any "hallow" points. They are gone. Sold out. No longer made. Banned! Knowing how to make alternative ammo from existing stock is a valuable (at least potentially valuable) skill.

And...It is called English. Please use it.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
And...It is called English. Please use it.
LOL! I would make a joke about living in Texico, but i don't hablar well enough Senior.