Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > moding fmj hand gun amo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8417 Times on 3648 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Moved it to reloading-

Duck, as said, not a good idea for several reasons. Possibility of cartridge going bang (LAST step in reloading is seat and crimp bullet)

Off center hollow equals off balanced bullet, equals accuracy of a thrown chair.

As said, very good chance of obstructed bore from shooting core out of bullet. Next one behind that would be ugly.

Now, I have to ask, why do you want to shoot homemade HP for practice?

And not a slam- you asked honest question, and got honest answer. DO look into reloading.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1734 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 547

If you start reloading, Rainier or Berry's 115 grn copper plated hp will cost you about 10 cents each. Add primers and powder and you will be looking about 16 cents a round if you have brass. You can get a Lee loading set up for about $100. You will need some carbide dies and a taper crimp die. 9mm does not use a lot of powder. You will spend more money on reloading stuff as you progress but that can come slowly. I may be on the high side for components as I dont have big box sporting goods stores for my powder and primers. The hazmat fees will kill you on shipping primers and powder so I buy it local.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-17-2012, 04:07 AM   #13

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Reloading sounds like a lot better idea then blowing your hand off or losing your eyesight.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19968 Times on 11352 Posts
Likes Given: 50358

i agree with the others that trying to make a jhp out of a fmj bullet sounds like a recipe for disaster. like others have said, get into reloading, you can start out with a reloading kit from Lee for not much money, and buy jhp bullets in bulk, then you will have a decent hp round to practice with.

if thinking about doing the reloading thing, first items to buy before you ever buy any equipment, are some reference books on reloading in general, and read them several times. reloading can be safe and rewarding if done safely and following proper procedures. if not, it can be very dangerous and could put yourself and others at risk. follow the procedures and don't try something unless it's proven.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #15

Liked 694 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Something that hasn't been mentioned:

FMJ bullets are made by putting lead into a "cup" of jacketing material
and forming, leaving the lead exposed at the base.

Hollowpoints are formed in much the same way, but the base is covered
and the exposed lead is at the tip.

If you make a hollowpoint out of a FMJ, you end up with a tube of
jacketing material surrounding a core with lead exposed at both
ends.

The tube (jacket) can stick in the bore, blowing the core out the muzzle.
Next shot with the jacketing tube stuck in the bore? That's how
people get nicknames like stubby.
I agree with Bill here.... But they do make kits to do it, I only found it for the .22 and 7.62x25....

Diy Extreme Hollow Point Maker Kit, Shooting Accessories, Diy at Sportsman's Guide

Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #16

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Don't do it!

1. You gain nothing but increased liability.
  2. 100% guarantee to hurt accuracy.
  3. A complete waste of time.
  4. You loose fingers, eyes and gun parts.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #17

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Why? Seriously.

In short, like everyone else said, it's a lot of work for no real gain or advantage.

Forster used to make a 'hollow pointer' jig and attachment for doing this very procedure. (Maybe they still do; I dunno.) The Forster device was for lead bullets only, as I recall.

One could fix up a rig and perform the action without harming anything. Possibly it could be done without totally screwing up the axial balance of the bullet. Probably accuracy would suffer. But to what goal? The construction of the bullet won't allow it to expand. The old practice of cutting an X in the nose of the bullet had mixed results. IF one cut deeply enough, the bullet would fragment and create a more serious wound. This practice was for the express purpose of killing the subject of the impending shooting. If it were used as a self-defense measure, it is pointless, because it doesn't particularly cause a quicker incapacitation.

Depending on how far back you removed the meplat section, you might end up sticking jackets in the bore. Empty jackets like this are not known for blowing up a firearm, but they do cause ring bulges in the barrel; not recommended for best accuracy.

Sorry to contradict CFRAGA1978, but removing weight from the bullet will not raise pressures. Lower bullet weight and all other factors the same will lower chamber pressure. In an extreme case, it could lower pressure enough to stick in the bore. More than likely, the lower bullet weight would fire normally. Point of impact will change to some degree.

Just for the record, I do load for 9x19 NATO. All I load is NATO ball equivalent, and only for practice. I have some scrounged commercial ammo for serious carry - and I don't carry 9x19 NATO as a primary weapon very often.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #18

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think by now you should have seen enough information that suggests you should not try this. If you want to make HP ammo you should get into reloading and do it right.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #19

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Youd be lucky if one didnt go off while trying to drill them, all around bad idea. All it would take is the bit getting lodged causing the round to turn the same speed as the drill bit and grinding the primer on the table....boom

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #20

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Look what's in the newest sportsman's guide.

Not condoning....just puttin' it out there...

image-2493571109.jpg