Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   moding fmj hand gun amo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/moding-fmj-hand-gun-amo-55620/)

thdrduck 01-16-2012 08:53 PM

moding fmj hand gun amo

I know there will be those that jump my ship right off on this one but here goes anyway... I shoot a lot of 9mm and as everybody knows fmj is the cheapest to shoot and provides suitable accuracy. I do a fair amount of plinking and would like to shoot hollow points. Would it be hazardous to make a jig for the drill press and drill my own hollow points from fmj's? My thought is the low velocity in 9mm amo would prevent even the crappyest bullet from doing anything stupid in the barrel. During my plinking sessions I would prefer hp's but not at 2 to 4 times the price of fmj's. When I am not plinking the gun is loaded with Hornady Critical Defense loads at $21 for 25. My plinkers are either Blazzers or American Eagles at about $11 for 50. I remember reading about folks cutting a X in the nose of bullets with a knife to get better expansion and better bullet fragmentation during a ricochet. Thoughts?

trip286 01-16-2012 09:04 PM

For safety I say don't do it. The mad scientist in me however...

orangello 01-16-2012 09:21 PM

Low velocity 9mm?

I would vote FAIL. It would be hard to keep things centered up and not screwing up the aerodynamics or balance, i would think. I also don't want to drill a loaded round, maybe you could try drilling some bullets and loading your own cartridges?

cfraga1978 01-16-2012 09:42 PM

If you know anything about reloading. You know there is a ballence between bullet weight and amount of powder. By drilling into your bullet you are removing weight from it while keeping the powder charge the same this could cause increased pressure in the chamber and could harm your weapon and possibly yourself. I have played with this before but I drilled out my bullets then weighed them and figured my powder and loaded my round. As someone said it is hard to drill in the center. I had better luck using a belt sander to just take off the tip making it a soft point.

danf_fl 01-16-2012 09:58 PM

Mods, please move this to the appropriate section.

willfully armed 01-16-2012 10:02 PM

Yea...uh...no.

You're talking about introducing heat, a likely source of ignition, to an explosive device. That's just damned stupid.

Its not that it would be hard. Jig, drill press, center punch....

Epic foolish thought.

hmh 01-16-2012 10:29 PM

Mold your own lead bullets and reload.

thdrduck 01-16-2012 10:48 PM

Just lookin for thoughts. Stupid, maybe, epic, nah. I can see the best advice is to add to the hobby and start reloading. I'm not going to argue for the original question, but heat, center punch, come on now really? I may be stupid but I am not damn stupid.

BillM 01-16-2012 11:25 PM

Something that hasn't been mentioned:

FMJ bullets are made by putting lead into a "cup" of jacketing material
and forming, leaving the lead exposed at the base.

Hollowpoints are formed in much the same way, but the base is covered
and the exposed lead is at the tip.

If you make a hollowpoint out of a FMJ, you end up with a tube of
jacketing material surrounding a core with lead exposed at both
ends.

The tube (jacket) can stick in the bore, blowing the core out the muzzle.
Next shot with the jacketing tube stuck in the bore? That's how
people get nicknames like stubby.:eek:

thdrduck 01-17-2012 12:03 AM

Now that makes sense. Thank you.;)