Misfire question - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Misfire question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 02:36 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
"Here is another question that I'm curious about. If I screw up and have to remove a new primer, can it be reused? Or is it ruined by having to push it out like a used one. "

Never reuse. Its only 2 or 3 cents
Gottcha, just trying to pick up the tricks of the trade.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #22

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

its all a learning process bro. I've been reloading now just for a year and still learning. it will take time. but some rules of thumb that i go by:
TAKE YOUR TIME:Slow and steady wins the race. IF YOU THINK YOU MADE A MISTAKE:You probably did, double/triple check the round. And lastly, IF YOUR LOAD WON'T GO BANG: Go step by step to resolve the problem. Do one thing at a time.
Thems my rules and so BOOM yet!

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #23

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

ArmyGuy you are going to do fine. It is plain to see that you really care about what you are doing and are not to proud to ask questions. +1

Old 10-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3586 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy View Post
Yeah, I got a pad with the kit I bought. I was just listening to the guy that sold me the kit, he said he used the spray lube.
I use Midway minute lube and a lube pad. I lay out the cases on the pad and give them a spritz. Roll 'em and let them dry for a minute or so.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

armyguy, i agree with the others, and it looks like something is contaminating your powder during loading. but it also sounds like you may have bad primers also. so the possibility is you have two problems.

on your primers don't try to decap them on your press! if you set one off, it could have enough force to do harm to you. use the firearm.

get the book, The ABCs of Reloading, excellent book for beginners and experianced reloaders. has lots of useful information. hang in there, it will get better and welcome.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #26

Liked 114 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Hmmm.

The yellow tinge you report is very suggestive of partially burnt powder granules I've found cleaning guns. So, probably the primer flash attempted to ignite the powder charge and didn't (fully.)

The 'clumping' you display is a bit odd. I've seen black powder (or substitute) clump up when in the cartridge. Possibly partial ignition might have melted the granules together.

You mentioned cleaning brass with tumbler and media. If one doesn't ensure the primer flash hole is clear, the primer spark can be blocked. This will do something between what seems to be a normal ignition, to a delayed ignition or hangfire, to a complete failure to fire.

All in all, this doesn't suggest anything terribly dangerous or major failure on your part. Keep up the paying attention to detail and stopping whenever a round does not do exactly what it's supposed to do.
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 10-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #27

Moisture or oil. Both are very bad for powder and primers.