Misfire question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Misfire question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 899 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Im new to reloading myself, but it sounds to me like you may of had some lube / oil in the case.. Ive never seen powder clump like that...
Maybe try a primer in a empty case, to see if the primer is the problem.
Make a couple of more rounds and make sure that the inside of the case is clean and dry.... Thats what I would suggest...

Old 10-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3358 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 354

If you are using using the One-Shot case lube, are you lubing the cases while they sit in the loading blocks as pictured? If so, you may be getting some puddling in the bottom of the case. I prefer to resize/decap then clean again to make sure there is no lube in or on the case. If you proceed directly from resize to re prime, powder charge, seat bullet, then wipe down, that is probably the source of the problem.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
If you are using using the One-Shot case lube, are you lubing the cases while they sit in the loading blocks as pictured? If so, you may be getting some puddling in the bottom of the case. I prefer to resize/decap then clean again to make sure there is no lube in or on the case. If you proceed directly from resize to re prime, powder charge, seat bullet, then wipe down, that is probably the source of the problem.
I have been lubing the cases in the blocks as pictured. I will now start cleaning the cases again before I prime, charge, and seat the bullets. If I'm getting contamination in there hopefully that is the reason so it can be fixed.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #14

Liked 835 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 254

A couple of things. First your reloading bench is to organized and not messy enough. That is an easy fix. Your storage of components is fine. The powder clumping is not happening in the can but in the cartridge. It has to be getting contaminated during the loading process. Just before you load take a couple of the cases and a clean Kleenx and wipe the primer pocket and the inside of the case. It should be dry. I'm sorry but I think its you - somehow you are contaminating the case. Of coarse I could be wrong.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
A couple of things. First your reloading bench is to organized and not messy enough. That is an easy fix. Your storage of components is fine. The powder clumping is not happening in the can but in the cartridge. It has to be getting contaminated during the loading process. Just before you load take a couple of the cases and a clean Kleenx and wipe the primer pocket and the inside of the case. It should be dry. I'm sorry but I think its you - somehow you are contaminating the case. Of coarse I could be wrong.
More mess huh, check I can fully accept that I'm the problem, especially since I'm new to reloading. I just want to figure out what I can do different so I can work on preventing problems in the future. I will definitely work on making sure the cases are completely dry before I prime and charge them from now on.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #16

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

This is why I still use a pad w/ lube!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #17

Liked 2143 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 1390

I second that the powder is getting contaminated. I have never seen powder clump like that. I have taken apart old surplus WWII ammo that had not been properly stored. The powder was still in its original state.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
This is why I still use a pad w/ lube!
Yeah, I got a pad with the kit I bought. I was just listening to the guy that sold me the kit, he said he used the spray lube.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 AM   #19

Here is another question that I'm curious about. If I screw up and have to remove a new primer, can it be reused? Or is it ruined by having to push it out like a used one.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #20

Liked 835 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 254

"Here is another question that I'm curious about. If I screw up and have to remove a new primer, can it be reused? Or is it ruined by having to push it out like a used one. "

Never reuse. Its only 2 or 3 cents