Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Misfire question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Misfire question

Have just started reloading and went to the range today with my loads for the first time. I had several rounds that didn't fire. The firing pin hit the primer just as it should and nothing happened.

When I took them apart I found that the powder had clumped and had a yellow tint to it where it was touching the brass. Most of the other rounds (I had 50 total) paused briefly after the firing pin hit the primer before firing. It paused just long enough I could hear the click of the firing pin before it fired, but still less than 1 second. I have never had that happen before with any firearm.

Does anyone have an idea on my problem? I'm hoping I can improve my reloading success rate.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2011, 02:34 AM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy
Have just started reloading and went to the range today with my loads for the first time. I had several rounds that didn't fire. The firing pin hit the primer just as it should and nothing happened.

When I took them apart I found that the powder had clumped and had a yellow tint to it where it was touching the brass. Most of the other rounds (I had 50 total) paused briefly after the firing pin hit the primer before firing. It paused just long enough I could hear the click of the firing pin before it fired, but still less than 1 second. I have never had that happen before with any firearm.

Does anyone have an idea on my problem? I'm hoping I can improve my reloading success rate.
There's several things I could suggest here. You could have gotten bad powder/bad primers. As far as the yellowish tint I'm not for sure, never seen that in any of my reloads. What kind of powder are you using and primers? I would also suggest switch where you store your supplies. I use cci primers and vihtavuori powder primarily. I've had extremely good results out of that combo.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz

There's several things I could suggest here. You could have gotten bad powder/bad primers. As far as the yellowish tint I'm not for sure, never seen that in any of my reloads. What kind of powder are you using and primers? I would also suggest switch where you store your supplies. I use cci primers and vihtavuori powder primarily. I've had extremely good results out of that combo.
I'm using Winchester 748 powder and CCI 200 primers. I went back to the store and asked some questions. They suggested I try Federal 210 primers and IMR 4895 for powder, which I bought. these are 30-06 rounds for my M1 Garand, if that helps any.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:08 AM   #4

Quote:

I'm using Winchester 748 powder and CCI 200 primers. I went back to the store and asked some questions. They suggested I try Federal 210 primers and IMR 4895 for powder, which I bought. these are 30-06 rounds for my M1 Garand, if that helps any.
I've only had one bad thing of powder out of all that I bought and that was the accurate powder. The Winchester powder I didn't love too much but its more my personal preference on that. The vihtavouri powder is one of my favorites for my handguns. I have had extremly good luck w/the federal primers as well. Before you change everything start w/the powder. If the problem still exists, maybe its the primers. Step by step on figuring out the problem is what you need to do, replace one thing at a time, but I would recommend highly reevaluating your storage location.
Hope that helps.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-01-2011, 03:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz

I've only had one bad thing of powder out of all that I bought and that was the accurate powder. The Winchester powder I didn't love too much but its more my personal preference on that. The vihtavouri powder is one of my favorites for my handguns. I have had extremly good luck w/the federal primers as well. Before you change everything start w/the powder. If the problem still exists, maybe its the primers. Step by step on figuring out the problem is what you need to do, replace one thing at a time, but I would recommend highly reevaluating your storage location.
Hope that helps.
I do still have 200 of the CCI primers that I will use with the IMR 4895 powder as you suggested.

As for my storage I live in an apartment in California and my powder is just sitting out in the container. Would you suggest something like a safe with a dehumidifier?

Old 10-01-2011, 03:45 AM   #6

Liked 627 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Sounds more like the primers were contaminated. If the primer was good then when the firing pin hit the primer would fire then at that point the powder would burn(or not). But there should have been no delay in the primer detonation if the primer was good. So I say you had bad primers for sure and maybe bad powder. Was all case lube cleaned from the cases? If case lube gets in the primer pocket it can contaminate the primer and maybe the powder. Double check your loading process and look for sources of possible contamination.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
Sounds more like the primers were contaminated. If the primer was good then when the firing pin hit the primer would fire then at that point the powder would burn(or not). But there should have been no delay in the primer detonation if the primer was good. So I say you had bad primers for sure and maybe bad powder. Was all case lube cleaned from the cases? If case lube gets in the primer pocket it can contaminate the primer and maybe the powder. Double check your loading process and look for sources of possible contamination.
I use Hornady one shot case lube that says it won't contaminate anything and should dry within a minute or two. As far as cleaning the lube out can I just use a paper towel or rag of some kind? Or is there a better method I should be using to ensure I don't contaminate the primers or powder?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #8

Quote:

I do still have 200 of the CCI primers that I will use with the IMR 4895 powder as you suggested.

As for my storage I live in an apartment in California and my powder is just sitting out in the container. Would you suggest something like a safe with a dehumidifier?
Not necessarily a dehumidifier but maybe store your powder in an ammo can with some silica decassant. That's what I do and seems to work fine. Or a tightly homemade sealed wood box with silica in it. Its at my dads right now or id send you a pic. Yea the hornady case lube should be fine, but do the powder thing and go from there. If not, try getting the federal primers

~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #9

Liked 2252 Times on 1184 Posts
Likes Given: 153

What are you using to clean the brass? How is the loaded amo stored? I have used this powder/primer combination w/o any problems. Your described problem is very unusual. I have been handloading for over 30 years and have never experienced that.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
What are you using to clean the brass? How is the loaded amo stored? I have used this powder/primer combination w/o any problems. Your described problem is very unusual. I have been handloading for over 30 years and have never experienced that.
To clean the brass I'm using a tumbler with corncob media. The loaded ammo is stored on my bench in the blue containers on the right in the picture. The primers were stored on top of the bench and the powder below. Everything is in my apartment.

Everyone seems to think this is an unusual problem. Which is a good thing and a bad thing. Good, as it offers a good learning experience for everyone. Bad, as it's happening to me