Minimum force required to ignite the hardest factory small pistol (9mm) primers?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Minimum force required to ignite the hardest factory small pistol (9mm) primers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Minimum force required to ignite the hardest factory small pistol (9mm) primers?

Hello all,

It has been a while since posting on this forum, but I have had an intriguing thought and figured I would ask around and see what I can discover.

I'm not a hand loader, but I'm assuming "small pistol primers" are good for 9mm Luger, and that's what I'm specifically referring to in this question.

To address the problem, there are a few things I am interested in knowing.

First, what are the hardest small pistol primers found on the shelves in factory ammunition (by hardest I mean requiring the most striking force to ignite)? I've always been told CCI.

Second, what is the minimum force required to ignite said primers reliably?

Lastly, how can I calculate the striking force of a firing pin in a Beretta 92FS?

The reason I found this interesting is because I have a Beretta 92FS that I doctored up, so to speak. I put a lighter "D" main spring in (can't recall right away what the actual rating was) and a skeletonized hammer (unsure of the weight at the moment). I have shot a few hundred hand loads with CCI primers through it, and I'm more than confident that light primer strikes will not be an issue.

However, I am mainly interested in the numbers, just out of curiosity. If any engineers or mathmaticians out there wants to explain these questions to me in mathspeak, I would be very grateful.

Gracias

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I can tell you that on a Smith and Wesson revolver in .38 Spl it requires a 3 1/2 pound main spring. The .357 Mag requires 3 3/4 pounds for reliable ignition. I do not know how that translates into actual striking force, but gives you something.

And yes, CCI primers are considered the hardest primers available.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5651 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Your going to need to know the mass of the firing pin. The area of the tip of the pin that strikes the primer. How much area of the pin that rubs against the firing pin channel. How much firing pin return spring tension you have and the friction factors of the hammer strut, hammer and hammer pivot pin. And finally how strong the firing pin spring is.

I prefer going out and shooting and if my gun sets primers off i call it a day.

The reason the 92fs has a very strong hammer spring is it has to hold up to field military conditions where the gun may need to be fired with a dirty firing pin channel. That extra hammer force could be needed.

I leave my 92's fp springs bone stock

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

locutus Likes This