Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Milspec ballistics (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/milspec-ballistics-82079/)

tango6 01-22-2013 01:00 AM

Milspec ballistics

I am starting to reload some 55 gr bullets for my sons AR. I want to get them as close as possible to the military ballistics as I have a few rounds of that. The military stuff is the 55gr FMJ. Any idea on the muzzle velocity?

hockeyjr1 01-22-2013 01:03 AM

U should jump ship to match grade ammo ballistics... Mil spec isn't very good at all.. Other guys would know more for u

robocop10mm 01-22-2013 01:31 AM

Milspec 55 gr will have a velocity around 3200 fps (depending on the source). You can replicate this through handloading, but it will be a max or near max load. Max loads rarely yield the best accuracy.

res45 01-22-2013 04:32 AM

Velocity is highly overrated compared to accuracy,I'll give up a couple hundred fps. to get better accuracy. Your intended target want know the difference and your brass and firearm will suffer less wear and tare over the long haul.

tango6 01-22-2013 01:11 PM

I agree with all that has been posted about velocity/accuracy. My intent is to match the velocity of the military surplus ammo I have with my handloads so POI will be the same or close enough for government work. This is "zombie killer" ammo. I have him some hunting ammo that is superb in the accuracy department.

robocop10mm 01-22-2013 03:33 PM

Remember, the POI is rarely very predictable with milsurp ammo. Load it down a bit and the POI will be VERY close inside 200 yards anyway. You will not see an appreciable trajectory difference till you get beyond that.

locutus 01-22-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by res45 (Post 1104706)
Velocity is highly overrated compared to accuracy,I'll give up a couple hundred fps. to get better accuracy. Your intended target want know the difference and your brass and firearm will suffer less wear and tare over the long haul.

In competition, yes.

For social work, I'll give up a couple of MOA for the increased velocity.

As long as your ammo is "minute of scumbag" accurate, it will suffice.

My loads are M193 ball velocity, and still yield under 1.5 inches for FIVE. shot groups
That's plenty accurate enough for social work

robocop10mm 01-22-2013 09:38 PM

One of the things you can do to increase the accuracy of 55 gr FMJ's is buy in bulk and sort by weight. I have seen variances of nearly 2 grains. That is a killer for accuracy. I weigh a sampling and find the median weight. Half are more and half are less. I sort into two batches and keep the ammo segregated. That will cut your group size in half

locutus 01-22-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1105588)
One of the things you can do to increase the accuracy of 55 gr FMJ's is buy in bulk and sort by weight. I have seen variances of nearly 2 grains. That is a killer for accuracy. I weigh a sampling and find the median weight. Half are more and half are less. I sort into two batches and keep the ammo segregated. That will cut your group size in half

Good point. The same with brass. Sort it by weight for accuracy.

But for anything that I will shoot with 5.56 ball, plain old M193 is more than adequate. Just MNSHO!:p