Military Ballistics Industries.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Military Ballistics Industries.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Military Ballistics Industries.

What do you know about this ammunition? Anyone used it and what were your experiences?

Lucky Gunner is selling it in bulk bags at reasonable prices (by today's standards) but I am a bit leery. I'm leery by nature though so that is why I'm asking.

They have .380acp, .45acp, and 9mm all in stock in 100 and 250 round bags.

Here is the quick schpiel:

Quote:
This MBI product is manufactured using only the highest quality products available to ensure consistent ballistics and firing performance. The propellant is manufactured by Hodgson, the bullets are manufactured at either the Lake City military manufacturing facilities or by Hornady, and the primers are manufactured by either CCI or Winchester. In addition to using only the best available components, MBI ammunition is assembled using some of the most modern electronic press equipment available. Because exceptional consistency is a major factor in creating accurate ammunition, a production facility that uses finely calibrated electronic press technology is key to ensuring that each shooter is well-pleased with the performance of their ammunition.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I've never heard of them. They're using good components though.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #3

I purchased 200 rounds of 45 ACP ammo from Military Ballistics Industries recently, after reading generally good things about them written by some other folks. Their ammo is very reasonably priced, and I'm always looking for inexpensive ammo for general range use and plinking.

MBI ammo is "remanufactured"...that is, reloaded. And this is fine. I've used a lot of remanufactured ammunition from various sources and the quality has usually been quite good. Black Hills, for instance, sells remanufactured ammo that is virtually indistinguishable from new.

However, when my shipment of MBI ammo arrived, I was stunned. Some of the reloaded cases were of such horrible quality that I would never even consider putting them any near one of my guns. I found cases that were badly corroded. Other's were dented, and had scratches or gouges that sometimes went nearly all the way through the case. But worse yet, out of one bag of 100 rounds, I found two cases that were split open. I've attached a picture of one. You'll note in the pic that the case around the split has teeth marks as if someone used a pair of pliers to bend the split back into shape.

Not all the cartridges were this way. But after a round by round inspection, I found that out of 200 rounds, there were roughly 45 that I would not trust at all. Almost 1 round in 4. This sheds enough doubt on BMI's quality control that I'm hesitant to trust any of it, even though the majority of the rounds appear to be good, sound ammunition.

BMI can't convince me they weren't aware of it. They can't pretend they didn't know. This can't be just a bad batch that got past them. Especially when they advertise that EVERY round is hand inspected before leaving their factory. They have proven to me that they and their product can't be trusted. The alarming thing is, they claim to sell to military and law enforcement. I'd hate to be a soldier or policeman, going in harms way, with ammo like this.

dsc04861.jpg  

Last edited by RevolverGuy; 02-14-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default RevolverGuy Welcome to FTF.

Guy cruise over to the intro section for the proper welcome. You're right, if those were inspected, and passed, that says something for their QC. If that , as you said, amounts to 25% of their loads-then-they are JUNK.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 02-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Buyer beware! You get what you pay for.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #6

wow, thanks for this post. i was pretty clost to buying 1000 rounds of this ammo. i guess at 255 for 1000 rounds i will get what i pay for... 750 rounds.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If they can't proof-read and spell "Hodgdon" correctly, how good can their QC be?

Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know this post is almost two years old, and I thought I would bring a more recent review..

I have several thousand of their 40 S&W rounds, and have found zero defects in any of them.. They are very consistent, high quality rounds, and I have had zero malfunctions with the 800 or so 40 S&W I have actually fired..

Looking at the pic here, you are 100% right that something made those tool marks, but there is no way it was pliers. The marks are perfectly uniform around the visible part of the round, and straight pliers could not be that consistent.. Maybe they have rounded pliers for this kind of thing, who knows..

Also you said MBI can't convince you that they didn't know.. Did they try to convince you? Did you call to complain, and did they try to make it right somehow? I find it hard to believe that Lucky Gunner would carry crap ammo for this long.. It would not be to their benefit as it's their reputation as well as MBI's.

Who knows what may have happened in the last 2 years.. Maybe their ammo was total crap, 2 years ago.. Maybe it was a bad batch.. Who knows.. All I can tell you is that today, August 2012, I have had no problems at all, and no bad rounds in the 2000 40 S&W that I have of theirs.. Soon as it becomes available again, I plan to but another 2000 rounds of both 40 S&W and 9mm.. My son goes through 9mm like it's water...

-Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevolverGuy View Post
I purchased 200 rounds of 45 ACP ammo from Military Ballistics Industries recently, after reading generally good things about them written by some other folks. Their ammo is very reasonably priced, and I'm always looking for inexpensive ammo for general range use and plinking.

MBI ammo is "remanufactured"...that is, reloaded. And this is fine. I've used a lot of remanufactured ammunition from various sources and the quality has usually been quite good. Black Hills, for instance, sells remanufactured ammo that is virtually indistinguishable from new.

However, when my shipment of MBI ammo arrived, I was stunned. Some of the reloaded cases were of such horrible quality that I would never even consider putting them any near one of my guns. I found cases that were badly corroded. Other's were dented, and had scratches or gouges that sometimes went nearly all the way through the case. But worse yet, out of one bag of 100 rounds, I found two cases that were split open. I've attached a picture of one. You'll note in the pic that the case around the split has teeth marks as if someone used a pair of pliers to bend the split back into shape.

Not all the cartridges were this way. But after a round by round inspection, I found that out of 200 rounds, there were roughly 45 that I would not trust at all. Almost 1 round in 4. This sheds enough doubt on BMI's quality control that I'm hesitant to trust any of it, even though the majority of the rounds appear to be good, sound ammunition.

BMI can't convince me they weren't aware of it. They can't pretend they didn't know. This can't be just a bad batch that got past them. Especially when they advertise that EVERY round is hand inspected before leaving their factory. They have proven to me that they and their product can't be trusted. The alarming thing is, they claim to sell to military and law enforcement. I'd hate to be a soldier or policeman, going in harms way, with ammo like this.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1212 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

http://www.luckygunner.com/

When all else fails.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #10

Default MBI ammo

I have purchased and shot 3000 rounds of 40 S&W and 2000 rounds of 9mm MBI ammo from LuckyGunner.com. While I have had the occasional type 1, (like 2 in a thousand rounds during a 4 day class where my gun was never cleaned, but then again its a Glock so I never clean it.

I have not seen any bad looking rounds, but have read they do occasionally have some issues, like any re-loaded ammo. You do get what you pay for. In my opinion anyone who would use re loaded ammo for personal protection is nuts. Buy it for range use, buy new store-able ammo for defense.

BTW: LuckyGunner is the ONLY place that will take packaged ammo back and will credit for damaged rounds. This is NOT their ammo, they sell it.