Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > mil-surp vs store bought

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 04:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default mil-surp vs store bought

I have heard alot about mil surp ammo around the forum and was wondering what are some of the pros and cons of it compared to the higher quality store bought ammo? I know that mil surp ammo has corrosive powder but would that be a problem if I cleaned the gun after every use? What is the best place to get mil surp ammo?

Just wondering.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4467 Times on 2357 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Not all milsurp ammo is corrosive. Just depends on the age and country of origin along with caliber.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Smokeless powder is not corrosive. BLACK powder residue is corrosive, but you would be very hard pressed to find a milsurp cartridge loaded with black powder.

It's the primer that can be corrosive. Many WWII and earlier US mil cartridges are corrosive (except .30 carbine) and most Berdan primed Warsaw Pact primers are corrosive.

To test your ammo, pull a bullet and dump the powder (in the lawn is fine, it is good for the grass, trust me), pound a couple of nails (8 or 10 penny) through a board (1 X 4), chamber the empty case and place the muzzle over one of the nails, FIRE.

If the primer is corrosive, the nail in question will be rusty in a day or two when left out in the elements.

Corrosive ammo is not an issue as long as you clean promptly with a solvent designed for corrosive ammo. HOT SOAPY WATER is the best and cheapest.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Thanks for the advice. I usually clean my guns after every use so I'll make sure to clean it extra well after using surplus ammo.

Thanks again