Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Mil-spec FMJ vs Civ FMJ and TMJ vs CMJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1444 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
1st) Thanks for the clarifications on pulled bullets.........2nd) regarding TMJ being safer: well yeah, it is....BUT....I think that the danger from exposed (to burning gases) lead is SLIGHTLY over stated, and just another reason used by the anti-gun crowd to ban shooting or indoor ranges.
Whenever I melt/cast lead I do it outdoors, but I don't lose sleep if I shot some NON-tmj rounds indoors.
Simply, no studies exist that prove the benefit of shooting TMJ. Had there been any, CCI Speer would have likely made references to them on every box. On the other hand, common sense tells us, no harm in the TMJs for the same price as FMJ.

The common concern about lead poisoning is played up often to sell products. Truth in advertising does not require that they distinguish LEAD COMPOUNDS (toxic) from ELEMENTAL LEAD (largely inert), but doing so would be nice wouldn't it.

Last edited by Mercator; 05-26-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Lead poses no health risk unless it is disolved into a liquified form via a chemical process and absorbed through the skin or ingested. If lead is gassified by heating it poses a health risk.

I prefer to shoot tmj bullets over exposed lead because its easier to clean the bore later. You don't have lead building up with copper. Tmj bullets tend to be more aerodynamic as well. Tmj have a greater chance of retaining the jacket on impact than lead based bullets do.

Lead smelters for casting don't get hot enough to gassify lead but there are other chemicals and fumes that come off fluxing lead you don't want to breathe.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Actually the terms TMJ and CMJ are misnomers, They are not jacketed, they are thickly plated. It is not possible to COMPLETELY jacket a bullet. TMJ more concentric than plain FMJ.

And, the primer does not "release" the lead from the base of the bullet, the primer CONTAINS lead.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondhand_Hero View Post
That's more along the lines of what i was taking from past forums read; along with a possible wear to the case due to the dispelled lead that normally leaves the case flat.. That and from the hard contact of a TMJ it can lead to a quicker wear on either the barrel or the firing pin.. Any thoughts on either of those?
I do not know who told you this information, but WTH? Wear to the case? Dispelled lead? Hard contact of a TMJ? Hard contact to what? What is this going to wear? How does a firing pin get worn by a bullet?

If someone is actually telling you stuff like that, NEVER SPEAK TO THAT PERSON AGAIN!!! They should not be allowed anywhere near a firearm, ever!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Actually the terms TMJ and CMJ are misnomers, They are not jacketed, they are thickly plated. It is not possible to COMPLETELY jacket a bullet. TMJ more concentric than plain FMJ.

And, the primer does not "release" the lead from the base of the bullet, the primer CONTAINS lead.
Yes, the primer contains lead. When the primer burns, it releases lead in your face. I referred to it as CCI's marketing. "Base of the bullet" was nowhere in the context.

Last edited by Mercator; 05-26-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: dehorning

Old 05-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Mil-spec FMJ vs Civ FMJ and TMJ vs CMJ

Quote:
I do not know who told you this information, but WTH? Wear to the case? Dispelled lead? Hard contact of a TMJ? Hard contact to what? What is this going to wear? How does a firing pin get worn by a bullet?

If someone is actually telling you stuff like that, NEVER SPEAK TO THAT PERSON AGAIN!!! They should not be allowed anywhere near a firearm, ever!
Again, these were all strange dead-ends on the great interweb that i have stumbled across; either information that didn't quite line up or information that couldn't be found at all.. That's why i'm asking you guys, the reliable ones, for setting the facts straight and better informing me!

Ps- i also have some questions regarding calibur comparison and reliable platforms/frames but i'm saving that for after this all gets resolved!! Any idea on CMJ's vs TMJ's? They look to be synonymous from the diagrams i'm seeing but, again, i'd rather hear it from one of you

Last edited by Secondhand_Hero; 05-26-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:

sierra and hornady produce total metal jacketed bullets or fmj using a copper jacket not plated. the jacket is swaged into a cup then ran through bullet dies to seal the core inside. its not as cheap or quick as a typical exposed base fmj but it is done for small game hunting for fur bearing animals where expansion and separation of core to jacket while maintaining extreme accuracy are desired.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Again, these were all strange dead-ends on the great interweb that i have stumbled across; either information that didn't quite line up or information that couldn't be found at all.. That's why i'm asking you guys, the reliable ones, for setting the facts straight and better informing me!

Ps- i also have some questions regarding calibur comparison and reliable platforms/frames but i'm saving that for after this all gets resolved!! Any idea on CMJ's vs TMJ's? They look to be synonymous from the diagrams i'm seeing but, again, i'd rather hear it from one of you
I can't rermember dealing with CMJ's (or did not pay attention to the corporate-speak) Care to remember who sells them?

Old 05-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Mil-spec FMJ vs Civ FMJ and TMJ vs CMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I can't rermember dealing with CMJ's (or did not pay attention to the corporate-speak) Care to remember who sells them?
It looks like 'Montana Gold' are the larger sellers but i'm seeing CapTech, Frontier, and a couple of others as well..

They are using the same 'lead-safe' statements as TMJ's but it maybe the two use different processes on the jackets themselves? i honestly can't tell..

Last edited by Secondhand_Hero; 05-26-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
It looks like 'Montana Gold' are the larger sellers but i'm seeing CapTech, Frontier, and a couple of others as well..

They are using the same 'lead-safe' statements as TMJ's but it maybe the two use different processes on the jackets themselves? i honestly can't tell..
No, haven't seen that ammo. Maybe different... but sure quacks like a duck