Methods for keeping track of brass

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Methods for keeping track of brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 337 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Methods for keeping track of brass

Anybody got any methods that they use to keep track of what reloading their brass is on?

Since I'm new to reloading almost all of my brass is currently once fired. Some of the .45 has been fired twice. I've been keeping brass in coffee cans but if I fire more factory loads, I would have to start more cas to keep the brass seperate.

Is this something that others worry about or does everybody just lump it all together? I want to be able to keep track of when my brass should be reaching the end of its usable life.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 578 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 179

I use to keep up with how many times I reloaded brass. All I do now is toss the brass when it starts looking worn out. I've been reloading for years and that's my approach. Keep in mind, my reloads are for target practice. I don't hunt and all my conceal carry ammo is factory. I've never had an issue with any of my reloads, they go bang when they should and cycle fine in my autos. Good luck.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

cottontop Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6014 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Once you have some experience you can tell when seating a bullet that its time for the bottleneck rifle brass to be annealed. If you dont anneal it it will split at the neck.

I dont know what the limit on loading pistol brass is. Ive got some 45acp brass that has been in constant use since about 1995.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9550 Times on 4109 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Mild load non bottlenecked- when the mouth cracks, or the headstamp has worn off. Autos- you lose them in the grass enough that the odds are, it only makes so many trips thru the gun. Hot bottlenecks, and SERIOUS target stuff- ziplock baggies, with number written on a card, dropped into bag. You will wind up trimming cases, needing to aneal, brass thinning out. .38 wadcutter- when primers will not stay in pocket due to wear.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 848 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Mild load non bottlenecked- when the mouth cracks, or the headstamp has worn off. Autos- you lose them in the grass enough that the odds are, it only makes so many trips thru the gun. Hot bottlenecks, and SERIOUS target stuff- ziplock baggies, with number written on a card, dropped into bag. You will wind up trimming cases, needing to aneal, brass thinning out. .38 wadcutter- when primers will not stay in pocket due to wear.
A lot of .303 & .308 ammo comes with annealed brass. Annealing is a one time thing, right?

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9550 Times on 4109 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

No. When metal has become work hardened, it gets brittle, Annealing removes the brittleness. For example, If I lay a piece of steel on an anvil, and hammer it for 20 hours, that will be harder than its sister piece of the same steel. Also more brittle. I can heat it, and let it cool slowly, and make it softer.

Brass cartridges, especially with a really hot load (think .220 Swift) will harden, and when you work the brass in the die, crack.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

25-5 Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
A lot of .303 & .308 ammo comes with annealed brass. Annealing is a one time thing, right?
Brass "work hardens" Repeated shooting, resizing, expanding, shooting will harden the brass. The base needs to be hard. The base does not get resized so it does not have the same stresses.

I try to aneal every time, everything bottlenecked above .223. .223 is pretty common and find of "disposable". As stuff gets harder to find, I am considering anealing .223. As soon as I say this, I get a 5 galon bucket full of once fired brass (FOR FREE) and shug my shoulders.

I also reform a lot of brass. This requires anealing to prevent cracks and splits. I just finished a batch of .243 - .308 and .270 - .30-06. I also take .270/.280 up to 8 X 57

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

25-5 Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 337 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Sounds like I'm over thinking the pistol brass. On the rifle brass I'll keep track and inspect carefully.

What do you guys use to anneal your brass?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6607 Times on 3681 Posts
Likes Given: 6264

I am confused as to why anyone would anneal common brass???

I anneal expensive and or hard to find brass, but the cost of propane would nullify any savings for .308 or .30-06. I load pretty heavy, and I still get 6-8 loadings from these calibers. 4--5 from absolute max .300 and .338 WinMag brass.

Plus the fact that annealing is a MAJOR P.I.T.A.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #10

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I shoot only pistol and revolver and do not keep track, but I do inspect each round before I start to reload it, after it's deprimed and cleaned. I use stainless media for cleaning and the brass comes out factory new shiny or better, so it's easy to lsee any deformation or cracks.