Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Meat hunting load for 30-06 or 308?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #11
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 793 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
All Ive ever used in my 30-06 was either remington cor-lokt 150gr or handloads with sierra gameking 150gr. I have yet to tear a deer up like that 1st pic. Like other have said I go for the heart lung shot most of the time.
150gr Sierra has been my choice since 1962 they are accurate and most effective, I can not see any reason to look elsewhere.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #12

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

1962? Are you using Pro Hunters or Game Kings, or did they even have a name back then LOL. Have had a few guys tell me they get core/jacket seperation out of the 150gr Game Kings, couple of them even told me that is what they liked about them, put's more energy on target. Apparently Serria's lead alloy is a little tougher then most, it will supposedly get adequate penetration even after shedding it's shell, often supposedly leaving two exit wounds. Never recovered a jacket or had that distinct second exit wound from a 165gr so they might be talking REALLY high impact speeds, or they may very well be full of it. On these brush shots I am figuring aprox 2700fps at the point of impact out of the 06 clearly that is too much for that bullet and maybe any 165gr on these deer.
What load you using with your 150s Pasquanel?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe 12ga slugs?

Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6629 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 12998

If it's not a trophy, aim for the head

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #15

Liked 52 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The shot in the picture is poorly placed. you need to drop down abouy 3 inches and back 4. When you hit bone going in it can't help teraing up meat.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #16

Not bad shooting, just poor choice of angle, it was a neck shot and he most certainly hit the neck as intended, it was where it went afterwards that cause a mess. Only good thing about hitting them that hard is you never have to track one.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #17

Update: I did work up a very tight shooting load in the 308 using a 180gr SGK with W748 powder, shoots half an inch at 100 which is more accuracy then I ever need in a hunting rifle, according to Hodgdon that is supposed to be moving 2610fps with 46.5gr which I would think would reduce the meat damage vs 165s at 2900+/- but for some reason I doubt that speed, that thing kicked like it never has before and the group was over an inch higher then my factory 150gr zero. As soon as I saw the POI I checked the brass/primer after the first shot thinking I might have accidentally hot loaded it, primer was fine and no extractor marks on the brass but it is a new (FN) Model 70 CRF so I am not sure if that is telling me anything. Rifle season is over with so only way to test it out is to go try and find a big ol hog and see if he can catch one for me.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #18

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator
Update: I did work up a very tight shooting load in the 308 using a 180gr SGK with W748 powder, shoots half an inch at 100 which is more accuracy then I ever need in a hunting rifle, according to Hodgdon that is supposed to be moving 2610fps with 46.5gr which I would think would reduce the meat damage vs 165s at 2900+/- but for some reason I doubt that speed, that thing kicked like it never has before and the group was over an inch higher then my factory 150gr zero. As soon as I saw the POI I checked the brass/primer after the first shot thinking I might have accidentally hot loaded it, primer was fine and no extractor marks on the brass but it is a new (FN) Model 70 CRF so I am not sure if that is telling me anything. Rifle season is over with so only way to test it out is to go try and find a big ol hog and see if he can catch one for me.
I'm by no means an expert in this area, but you said your use to 150gr and 165gr pills being flung out of your gun. So you might have all the charges right as well as Hodgon being dead on about the speed the 180s are leaving the barrel, but because of the added weight, it could be increasing the recoil more as well as a different burn rate for the powder. But that's just my thoughts.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #19

Liked 354 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have used at least 3 different pills in my 30/06AI and those being the 150gn Hornady which performed well on pigs and goats but then I went to 165gn Ballistic tips tp try on Fallow Deer which are a thin skinned deer and found that with a shoulder/chest shot it went in and virtually "grenaded" in the chest cavity pulping the heart/lungs without exiting.
For a Fallow Deer this isn't too bad but for a tougher skinned deer like Sambar it's way too lightly constructed.
I then went to what I use now and that's a 165gn Game King with 61.5gns of powder behind it and it goes in and dos a good job on busting up vitals.

The picture is of the rib cage of the Fallow hit with the 165gn Ballistic tip and what was recovered after the gutting.

first-deer.jpg   first-deer-3.jpg  

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 03-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1489 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Just a plain old soft point will kill any deer. I don't shoot small deer unless I get a good head or neck shot. But I am not perfect. I blew up the shoulders on a small deer with a shotgun this season. The deer was walking away and turned at the moment I pulled the trigger.

To be frank, I would rather blow up the deer's shoulder than shoot it in the heart/lungs to have it run into thick cover where one has to be charmed to find the deer. After a few weeks of hunting deer in this area travel along the edges of impenetrable cover during the day. If you find the deer after it has run into heavy cover a brush ax is required to get the deer out of the tangles. You will be bleeding enough to create a false blood trail.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato