Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Man this sucks....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Default Man this sucks....

I have 500 brand new cases that need to have the flash hole's deburred. Any one wanna do it for me? I have 100 done already oh well got plenty of time off to do them in-front of the TV.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I have 500 brand new cases that need to have the flash hole's deburred. Any one wanna do it for me? I have 100 done already oh well got plenty of time off to do them in-front of the TV.
What are you talking about?? I de-capped 2K of 9MM brass this weekend, in prep for cleaning!! That's a lot of "short strokin" on my RC press..

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 02-09-2010, 02:15 AM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I can't believe I forgot.....did the stick show up?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:50 AM   #4

NO I am frothing at that dam mouth wanting to get that gun here. I think the snow mayby slowed her up a little.

I got half of them done.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:20 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

cpttango, I just received 1000 new IVI .308 cases. I was looking for the burrs you are talking about. Are they down inside the case right at the edge of the flash hole? The primer pockets and flash hole there are clean and didn't see anything like a burr. I also ordered a flash hole deburring tool, flash hole cleaner and primer pocket uniformer.
Tell me about these burrs so I'll know what I am looking for.
I got to trim all these cases too.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertip 44 View Post
cpttango, I just received 1000 new IVI .308 cases. I was looking for the burrs you are talking about. Are they down inside the case right at the edge of the flash hole? The primer pockets and flash hole there are clean and didn't see anything like a burr. I also ordered a flash hole deburring tool, flash hole cleaner and primer pocket uniformer.
Tell me about these burrs so I'll know what I am looking for.
I got to trim all these cases too.
Get a small flash light and look down in side the case. You will see them. It is left over brass from when the flash hole is punched in. High end brass like Norma, Lapua and others have drilled flash holes so there is no burrs on them. I have the lyman tool that is cheap and works great. I don't use the handle I chuck it in my cordless dril and set it on low speed and go to town. NOTE: your hand will start to hurt after about 20 or so cases. I can do about 50 to 100 this way before I have to stop.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2278 Times on 1194 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I did 100 30-06 cases and 200 .308 cases over the weekend. Actually I did everything from clean, aneal, resize, decap, polish, uniform primer pockets, deburr flash holes, trim, chamfer, load and check in headspace gauge all 300 rds this weekend. Now I just have to get the rain to stop so the range un-floods so I can send some into the backstop and do it all over again (except the deburr and primer pocket uniform).

I also loaded 200 rds of 7.62 X 39 but I do not worry about anealing, uniforming primer pockets and deburring flash holes on those.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Robbo, do you have a good whitetail hunting load for 7.62 x 39?

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks cpttango, I rekon these little things like nibs right at at the edges of the flash holes inside the cases is what I need to remove.
How does it affect the round if I don't remove them?
I will go ahead and do it anyway because I have decided in my old age that I will load the best quality ammo that it is humanly possible for me to load.

Now if the robocop would keep all that damned rain in Texas and not send it east to Georgia maybe i could go try out some of my ammo.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertip 44 View Post
Thanks cpttango, I rekon these little things like nibs right at at the edges of the flash holes inside the cases is what I need to remove.
How does it affect the round if I don't remove them?
I will go ahead and do it anyway because I have decided in my old age that I will load the best quality ammo that it is humanly possible for me to load.

Now if the robocop would keep all that damned rain in Texas and not send it east to Georgia maybe i could go try out some of my ammo.
deburing the flash hole allows a more even and uniform flame from the primer thus allowing better more uniform ignition of the powder. The more uniform things are the more accurate the cartridge is.