Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Mags and ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Mags and ammo?

So I was told keep a full mag cam damage the spring any truth to this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #2

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just to save you the time, this has been debated on here already. It's the emptying and reloading that puts wear and tear on the spring. But everyone has their own opinion about it. Some leave one round out while other leave more out. Some leave it full other don't have any in it. Some just load up stripper clips and then speed load. It's all up to you and what you think.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you, srry new to the site will search old topics.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #4

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugers9
Thank you, srry new to the site will search old topics.
It's alright. I found myself asking the same questions that people have asked maybe a month before I joined the site. I'm sure we've all done it too.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 03-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

one of my very first jobs was working in a machine shop and the very wise owner explained how springs and metal work. you can bend metal, which basicly what springs do is bend, this is work and makes the atoms of the material rub against each other generating heat. the heat weakens the structure. when the piece of metal is not moving, in the case of springs compressed or decompressed, there is no heat being generated. so a spring doesnt care if its compressed or not.

you can see the effect yourself by bending a coathanger wire back and forth and feel the heat it generates at the bend. bend it once and leave it there is no further heat generated. same for springs.

so anyone claiming that springs need to rest or at full compression fatigue dont know anything about metal working or the properties of steel.

im no expert by any stretch but its basic metalurgy

when you get someone that says their mags dont work full loaded its because the springs are worn out or are faulty and being compressed beyound their operating range. you see this a lot with cheap foreign magazines and cheap US made ones. its not however because the springs "need to rest" thats just foolishness.

a quality magazine will function at its rated load for as long as needed or until decays from rust

one last thing. you dont take the leaf springs out of your car to "let them rest" or jack the body of the frame at nite so those last few pounds dont cause a rough ride...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-21-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

With 22s I keep them loaded but with my center fire rifles I don't manly cuz they r all blind mags lol

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH