Machining Bullets? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Machining Bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9516 Times on 4094 Posts
Likes Given: 1498

From 18 USC 921-

(17)
(A) The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.
(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

THAT's the part I was concerned about. AP is not by explosives, but by pure kinetic energy.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #12

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
US law may define an armor piercing bullet based on the makeup of the bullet- and while POSSESSION by a private citizen is not a problem under Federal law, the MANUFACTURE is regulated, licensed, and taxed.
Not to get of topic.... I have a friend who has a bunch of WWII Armor piercing M2 .30-06... I kinda would like to buy it off him but is is legal to own? (I just want to collect as much crap as I can for the M1 Garand)

Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
From 18 USC 921-

(17)
(A) The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

THAT's the part I was concerned about. AP is not by explosives, but by pure kinetic energy.
Thanks for the reference, but since these will be in rifles I guess I will
be legal... Not that is makes any sense to put it that way...

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
From 18 USC 921-

(17)

Section 921 is just the definitions and as you pointed out it specifically
states for handguns.

I am not making AP ammo.
Section 922 spells out what is legal or illegal.

(a) It shall be unlawful—
(7) for any person to manufacture or import armor piercing ammunition, unless—
(A) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
(B) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the purpose of exportation; or
(C) the manufacture or importation of such ammunition is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General;
(8) for any manufacturer or importer to sell or deliver armor piercing ammunition, unless such sale or delivery—
(A) is for the use of the United States, any department or agency of the United States, any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision of a State;
(B) is for the purpose of exportation; or
(C) is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been authorized by the Attorney General; [1]

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Perhaps you missed the part in 921 that "ammunition" includes projectiles.

If you are making rifle ammo, you "should" be OK. Of course that legal advise is worth every penny you paid for it.

M-2 AP (black tip) .30-06 ammo is perfectly legal under US law. Make sure it is legal in your jurisdiction.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball