Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   M1 Garand Ammunition (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/m1-garand-ammunition-25250/)

Dzscubie 03-27-2010 06:47 PM

M1 Garand Ammunition

2 Attachment(s)
All right guys, Iím going to show my lack of knowledge on M1 Garand ammunition. My wife bought me a WWII M1 a few years ago and I have not shot it yet. I know, I know, I was remiss but as I was stationed in Washington DC at the time and since returning I have just not found the time to take her out and shoot her.

Now I have always wanted an M1 but in reality I know very little about them or the ammunition they shoot. Iím planning to take her to the Texas Country Critter Kicker meet-in a few weeks for her maiden shoot but want to make sure I have the right ammunition for her.

Linda bought me a bandoleer of ammo a while back but Iím not sure if itís the proper type to shoot in her. I have attached a couple of pictures of the ammunition to see what yíall think.

Does anyone (stupid question I know) know what the head stamp is for proper M1 ammunition that I can shoot?

Thanks for the help.

ChuckD 03-27-2010 10:58 PM

Nevermind... I've been schooled... :)

CD

colmustard 03-28-2010 02:53 AM

i am no expert, i do have an m1 garand but mainly have shot mil-suplus, the only thing I have heard is some of the newer 30-06 has more power than what was desined for the m1 garand, and if you use this over powerd ammo to much you can damage the op rod. there are companies that make 30-06 desiganted for the m1 garand, i found some on cheaperthandirt.com, with that being said before i knew of this i did shoot a box of standerd ammo from walmart or some place, and i didnt have any problems, but i wouldnt do it again. hope this helps any and have fun with that rifle!!! What year was it made and by who? Mine was made in 1943 by springfiled.:)

Dzscubie 03-28-2010 04:44 AM

A search of my S/N found mine was a 1943 Springfield also.

colmustard 03-28-2010 04:51 AM

Very cool!:D

Highpower 03-28-2010 11:52 AM

Scubie,

Please do us both a favor - and do not shoot commercial .30-06 in your Garand.....

The Greek HXP surplus would be an excellent alternative however. Save the Winchester soft point for the hunting rifle. That's all I'm going to say.
"Not gonna argue"

Ammunition Sales

JonM 03-28-2010 12:52 PM

now is a good time to ask for a reloading press and dies. then you cansafely replicate ww2 loads using modern components at a dramatically cheaper price ;)

Dzscubie 03-28-2010 01:30 PM

Trust me guys I'm not going to use current commercial ammunition in my Garand and right now my Dillon is still a few months away. I still need to know how to identify the head stamp for for ammunition I can use.

Highpower 03-28-2010 02:06 PM

Have a look at this: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/attachments/m1-garand/15442d1226719077-m1-surplus-ammunition-sourse-corrosiveprimerredux.pdf

Again the Greek (HXP) headstamp is good, and Korean (PS) is OK.
The Korean (KA) is corrosive. :(

In general, just look for M2 Ball ammunition.

robocop10mm 03-28-2010 02:22 PM

The issue with the Garand is the burn rate of the powder. This dictates the pressure curve and the pressure when the bullet passes the gas port. Slower burning powders peak later and allow excessive pressure through the port. This can damage the operating rod.

Some commercial ammo "may" be loaded with too slow powder. Since commercial loaders do not publish what powder they lad with, you don't know until it's broke.

Hornaday is loading specifically for the Garand. The mil-surp M-2 ammo is loaded for the Garand. IMR 4895 is the "ideal" powder for the Garand. Anything slower is potentially harmful. Faster is probably OK. I use BLC-2 and W-748 and have never bent an op rod.

Your rifle is nearly 70 years old, give it a little TLC.