Lyman Lubrisizer Questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lyman Lubrisizer Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default Lyman Lubrisizer Questions

I'd like to start using a Lyman Lubrisizer. Does anybody have any experience with this unit? Is it a good buy? What pertains to using it? Also, I cast with lee moulds. Could the Lubrisizer be used with the lee bullets, particularly those designed for using Lee Lube Alox with the micro lube grooves? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2014, 01:46 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

I have been using a Lyman 450 for almost 30 years. It has been very good to me. Close to a quarter million bullets through it. I have the Midway heater plate under mine so I can use the high temp lubes. I believe the Lyman 4500 has a built in heater. The only upgrade I did was to ad a rubber O ring under the 450 to keep melted lube from oozing out.

Lyman and RCBS sizer dies fit.

I do not care for the Lee Tumble lube bullets. They just look goofy to me. Allegedly they cast a bullet that does not require sizing. I see no reason why you could not use the Lyman to lube them

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

locutus Likes This 
Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Robo I have the same setup you do. The Lyman 450 with a Midway heater through I have never plugged the heater in cause I have never used any hi temp lube. I am interested in details on the O ring you installed. Is it a replacement or addition. My reloading equipment sat unused for several years while I played with motorcycles. Even using regular lube without the heater I get some squeezing out under the die. I try to just put just enough pressure on the lube to fill the grooves and sometimes run the bullet in and out a couple of times. Do I have a maintenance problem or a technique problem?

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

locutus Likes This 
Old 03-25-2014, 04:03 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5831 Times on 3297 Posts
Likes Given: 5312

I've used a Lyman 450 for over 40 years now. Added the heater about 20 years ago.

For years I used Tamarack lube. 50/50 beeswax-Alox, NRA formula. Good lube, but smoky Switched to Rooster labs, "Zambini Red" worked great. They don't make it any more.

Lately, I've been using Thompson's "Blue angel." Great stuff, but you need the heater.

I've sized and lubed bullets from Lyman, Lee, Saeco, Hensley & Gibbs, and Hoch molds. They all work just fine.

Winston Churchill

Old 03-25-2014, 04:48 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
Robo I have the same setup you do. The Lyman 450 with a Midway heater through I have never plugged the heater in cause I have never used any hi temp lube. I am interested in details on the O ring you installed. Is it a replacement or addition. My reloading equipment sat unused for several years while I played with motorcycles. Even using regular lube without the heater I get some squeezing out under the die. I try to just put just enough pressure on the lube to fill the grooves and sometimes run the bullet in and out a couple of times. Do I have a maintenance problem or a technique problem?

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app
I just went to the hardware store and found a decently thick (1/8"?) about the size of the cavity under the plunger (1"?). I put the O-ring under the Lyman and bolted to the heater plate. No ooze

I have found Jakes bullet lube to be a very cost effective lube. Buy 20 for about $1 a stick. A little smokey in the winter, but not bad in the summer. Their Moly Ceresin is for low velocity bullets. The Purple Ceresin is for mid range stuff. They have another high velicity lube, but I use the Purple as it is a good compromise for most uses

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 03-25-2014 at 06:13 AM.
string1946 Likes This 
Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #6

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

I wanna cast for my .357. Am I better off with casting .358 diameter bullets with no sizing,or should I cast at .359 and size to .358? Would it make a difference?

Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5831 Times on 3297 Posts
Likes Given: 5312

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101 View Post
I wanna cast for my .357. Am I better off with casting .358 diameter bullets with no sizing,or should I cast at .359 and size to .358? Would it make a difference?
Your "as cast" diameter will vary with the alloy.

I have had my best luck with bullets that drop from the mold at .359-.360, sized to .358. But you don't want the sizing die squeezing it more than .002 at the max.

Winston Churchill