Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Lubricating brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Lubricating brass

I just ordered a Lee turret single stage press and I see the kit comes with a tube of lube. I keep hearing that using the Lee Carbide dies, I don't need to lube. I will be loading 9mm exclusively.
Tell me something different.
Also, I see different posts about depriming brass BEFORE tumbling. Some do, some don't. I wonder if the walnut stuff would get stuck in the primer pocket?
The kit comes with a hand tool for cleaning the pocket.

Help me out, guys...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 355 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Don't remove the spent primer from your brass before you tumble. The matrix will clog the primer pocket and you'll be spending too much time cleaning that out. I use the Lee carbide dies and generally don't lube. It seems with only 9mm that some brass needs a little lube to get it sized. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

therewolf Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7610 Times on 3314 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Yes, walnut gets into pockets. No, most carbide dies do not REQUIRE lube, but a little seems to make it much easier, and brass last longer. I use a smidge of alox spray on mine. Back in the day, we used to use a new ink stamp pad with no ink on it, put a few drops of lube on the pad, roll the brass by hand on the pad. Low tech, but it worked.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

therewolf Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default die's

correct carbide need's no lubrication .if you deprime before tumbling you take a chance to plug the flash hole ,it just means you have to push it out or use compressed air it works . good luck

Old 07-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #5

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I always tumble the brass first. Then clean out the primer pockets. If I'm using a powder that is really dirty I will throw the brass back into the tumbler to help clean up the primer pocket. I haven't had a problem with the primer pocket being clogged by the cleaning media but I use a single stage press and a hand primer so I'm always looking for any type of problems as I'm handling the brass.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, guys. I'm gonna enjoy my new hobby!!

Old 07-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #7

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

A little bit of lube will make resizing easier. For my pistol loads I just use a little Hornady Unique wax on every 5 or 6th one.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:17 AM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I think as you get the hang of loading, you will find what works for you. You will find people that think it is a waste of time to deprime and then tumble. You will also find people that think it is a waste of time to clean brass more than wipe it off with a rag. I tend to tumble, deprime, and tumble again. Then I clean the primer pocket, inspecting and cleaning out any stuck media. It does take longer, but I am happy with the results.