Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Ammunition & Reloading (
-   -   Lubricating brass (

Randyman59 07-23-2013 02:35 AM

Lubricating brass
I just ordered a Lee turret single stage press and I see the kit comes with a tube of lube. I keep hearing that using the Lee Carbide dies, I don't need to lube. I will be loading 9mm exclusively.
Tell me something different.
Also, I see different posts about depriming brass BEFORE tumbling. Some do, some don't. I wonder if the walnut stuff would get stuck in the primer pocket?
The kit comes with a hand tool for cleaning the pocket.

Help me out, guys...

gr8oldguy 07-23-2013 02:41 AM

Don't remove the spent primer from your brass before you tumble. The matrix will clog the primer pocket and you'll be spending too much time cleaning that out. I use the Lee carbide dies and generally don't lube. It seems with only 9mm that some brass needs a little lube to get it sized. good luck

c3shooter 07-23-2013 02:46 AM

Yes, walnut gets into pockets. No, most carbide dies do not REQUIRE lube, but a little seems to make it much easier, and brass last longer. I use a smidge of alox spray on mine. Back in the day, we used to use a new ink stamp pad with no ink on it, put a few drops of lube on the pad, roll the brass by hand on the pad. Low tech, but it worked.

saitek 07-23-2013 02:49 AM

correct carbide need's no lubrication .if you deprime before tumbling you take a chance to plug the flash hole ,it just means you have to push it out or use compressed air it works .:) good luck

Crazycastor 07-23-2013 04:25 AM

I always tumble the brass first. Then clean out the primer pockets. If I'm using a powder that is really dirty I will throw the brass back into the tumbler to help clean up the primer pocket. I haven't had a problem with the primer pocket being clogged by the cleaning media but I use a single stage press and a hand primer so I'm always looking for any type of problems as I'm handling the brass.

Randyman59 07-23-2013 10:49 AM

Thanks, guys. I'm gonna enjoy my new hobby!!

gunnut07 07-24-2013 05:12 PM

A little bit of lube will make resizing easier. For my pistol loads I just use a little Hornady Unique wax on every 5 or 6th one.

jebsca 07-26-2013 03:17 AM

I think as you get the hang of loading, you will find what works for you. You will find people that think it is a waste of time to deprime and then tumble. You will also find people that think it is a waste of time to clean brass more than wipe it off with a rag. I tend to tumble, deprime, and tumble again. Then I clean the primer pocket, inspecting and cleaning out any stuck media. It does take longer, but I am happy with the results.