Looking to start reloading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Looking to start reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Looking to start reloading

Hey guys, I've been reading through a bunch of threads and have read all of the stickies, as well as watched a bunch of reloading YouTube videos. I'm an Engineer, mechanically inclined, and don't mind "fiddling" as long as it's worth it. I'm also of the persuasion of "buy nice or buy twice."

I only have two calibers I intend to reload, and they're "high capacity" calibers: 9mm and .223/5.56. I'm not doing any accurate target shooting, just putting holes in paper. I'm trying to get started in IPSC/IDPA/ZSA/3Gun type stuff and I expect to need a larger amount of ammo. The reason I want to reload is partially for cost and partially for availability. If something bad happens and Uncle Sam starts banning stuff and people geek out, I'm not ready to give up shooting. I went nearly a year without firing a shot because of complete lack of ammo.

So, I've pretty much decided on a Progressive Press. One thing that's got me teetering is the amount of "peripherals" I'd need to get started. Besides a Progressive Press kit and consumables (powder, brass, primer, bullets), what else is a necessity for reloading? Is there a reason to talk me out of reloading or a Progressive Press?

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #2

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I hope you are looking at the Dillon presses. I would get a case prep station, RCBS is nice. A Dillon large capicity case cleaner. A quick collet case trimmer like the Lyman. You will need a reliable set of powder scales. I like the Balance beam scale like the RCBS 10-10. There will many more toys you will want as time goes by.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #3

Liked 493 Times on 337 Posts

There is no negatives all plus I would jump into it.
It does sound like you been reading some of our other posts .
as I've stated plenty of times I use the lee loadmaster I do like it does fine for me another thing you will need to get is a brass tumbler and eventually a way to check your case lengths .
first couple times it's not needed as far as I'm concerned and yes YouTube is awesome place to kinda see what everything and how everything works
Now if money is not a concern obviously Dillen is highly highly recommended but when I got into it that was not an option

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

nitestalker: I'm definitely aware there will be plenty of toys I'll want....but I'm wondering what I'll NEED. There IS a difference (but don't tell my wife that ).

So, the four that I'm looking at are Dillon (550 or 650), Hornady LNL, and Lee Loadmaster. Dillon is consistently the highest rated excluding price, but there are questions as to whether or not it's worth the price over the other ones. All the reviews have pros/cons for all of them, and I'm stuck there. I really appreciate fantastic design and quality, and have always liked to get the higher end (partially why I'm going Progressive) so Dillon has appealed to me more and more. I'm just trying to get a "total cost" for reloading gear before I buy bulk manufactured ammo for my AR and all of my 9s.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #5

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Being able to shoot during an ammo shortage is a great reason to reload. I do not own a Dillon. If I had money to blow I might think about it. I have a Lee Pro 1000. It is high maintenance. I am always tinkering with it. If you have the money to get into a high end press, I would not recommend the Lee. If you are on a budget, I would buy one. You simply have to pay attention to what you are doing. I can push out about 300-350 rounds of .45 ACP in an hour with mine when it is working the way I want it too. I can do about 100 an hour on my single stage RCBS.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Single Stage press here too. Just take your time. One night sizing,de-priming, and cleaning.
another night for primers, then being UN-DISTURBED one night to powder and seat bullets

Old 02-15-2014, 03:03 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

You are talking about a few good ways to need a LOT of ammo every week. That does point to going progressive. Just don't be the guy we all know (or maybe we are that guy) that gets the 1 ton truck cause he's going to get a camper.

I have a LNL, and am very happy with it. About the only thing I have to mess with when running it is tighten up the shell plate every 50-100 rounds. Other than that, just take care of it before and after reloading, and it has done me well.

Keep in mind, some people will point out it is easier to start out on a single stage press. It worked for me and I liked it. Others will say save the money and just go progressive. I have some tools that will not work on a progressive, so I do not see getting rid of my single stage, besides the fact that I have some calibers that hornady does not list shell plates for.

Good luck.

Sent from my smart phone using my not smart hand.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:13 AM   #8

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Most of us use Dillon because they are very dependable. The Dillon Progressive presses will load thousands of rounds in a short time. The single stage is slow and tedious when feeding modern Semi-Auto firearms. Dillon's big selling point is it's warranty. They have the no "BS" guarantee for a life time no charge. I have a Dillon 450 that is 40 years old and it is still ensured by Dillon.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:19 AM   #9

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Get an intervention before it's too late.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

People Like This 
Old 02-15-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, even a person that owns and uses a progressive loader, should also own a single stage loader as well. a single stage comes in handy for lots of jobs when reloading.