Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > looking for a reloading press

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default looking for a reloading press

Hello I'm new on here and I'm looking for a used reloading press

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Check on Ebay,You can find all types listed on there.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-27-2011, 02:59 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default used press

yes you can go to e-bay or craigslist buy keep in mind how much you want to pay for what you want to get .some time's you can pay more for a used press buy the time you get shipping on it .
and what kind and brand you want ,for the first timer get a single stage press a rcbs rockchucker is a good one .don't pay more than $75.00 shipped ,if you do you could just as well get a new one.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #4

Liked 313 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Most ebay prices for a used press seem to be close to what a new one costs. I think new is the way to go. However, I you find a used one at a good price, go for it. They almost never wear out.
cottontop

Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #5

I've found better deals on Craig's list. Shipping is a non-issue cause it's always face to face.
If you're in an area where a lot of people shoot, they come up for sale often.
There are apps for Android, and I'm sure for Apple too for searching and notifying when something comes up that might be of interest.
If it's something of interest, contact the seller soon after it's posted, then before going to meet, do some research and find out what is supposed to be included.
Also, don't be afraid to bargain with the seller. There is usually some room for negotiation in their price.
If the seller reloads, you can also hit them up for some lessons in using the equipment.

Also, on type of press .... this is really going to be dependent upon how much you're going to be reloading. I started with a rock chucker and still use it for some rifle cartridges that I shoot for accuracy, but had to almost immediately move to a turret press just because of the amount of rounds I reload. I could probably use a progressive, but because I use a chargemaster combo for powder, it doesn't really make sense. Also, I like priming by hand, after decapping, then completely cleaning the cases in an ultrasonic cleaner, and finally tumbling to make inspection a lot easier.

It's a pain to setup a turret or progressive, but if you reload a lot, it's much easier to just turn the turret, rather than continually replacing dies for each batch of cartridges.

Almostgem
John

Last edited by almostgem; 01-01-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Press types.