Looking for bullet casting lead. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Looking for bullet casting lead.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Durangokid, the problem with using the FCD on cast loads is if it is not adjusted just right it will swage the boolit down to where it is the bore diameter, not the groove diameter. This WILL result in severe leading of your barrel. If using the FCD, you should set it to just touch the brass enough to barely remove the flare put in it for seating the boolits.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #12

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I pick up frags from the cowboy action range at my local outdoor range. Right around the steel target plates....those guys put a LOT of lead downrange. I get several "handfuls" every time I go.

Wheel weights also, as everybody has mentioned.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #13

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

Wheel Weights have become pretty much impossible to get in my area. I used to get them for free. You can't even buy them now. The tire stores wont let them go. Something to do with the EPA. Maybe a Colorado thing. I'm not sure. But I have been shooting pure lead for quite a while now. I does lead the barrel. But a cut up chore boy wraped around a worn out cleaning brucs will pull it right out. Less than 30 seconds and the barrel is as good as new. Chore boys are copper. I figure no way can I do any worse to the barrel with a cleaning rod and a copper pot scrubber than a copper jacketed bullet would do.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #14

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The problem is not with crimp dies it is with users. Any crimp die can be set too tight. Most handloaders do not know the cast diameter needed for the chambers and throats of the guns they are loading for. A cast .429 bullet works fine in S&W Mdl. 29. That same .429 will be too small for a .44 Cal. B-92 Browning. The Winchester Micro rifled barrels need a .433 bullet to upset in the overly large bore. It is not just a matter of using a crimp die. Thats the easy answer.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2945 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
The problem is not with crimp dies it is with users. Any crimp die can be set too tight. Most handloaders do not know the cast diameter needed for the chambers and throats of the guns they are loading for. A cast .429 bullet works fine in S&W Mdl. 29. That same .429 will be too small for a .44 Cal. B-92 Browning. The Winchester Micro rifled barrels need a .433 bullet to upset in the overly large bore. It is not just a matter of using a crimp die. Thats the easy answer.
What Winchester uses "micro rifled barrels"? Micro groove rifling is a Marlin trade mark.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Tons on ebay if you are looking to buy

Old 07-02-2012, 04:36 AM   #17

Robo you are behind the curve. Marlins patents expired back in the 90s. Winchester tried making Micros for a while. Browning started making
the B 92 carbines in Japan. The B 92 was produced in .44 Mag and .357
Mag. Browning bought the Winchester barrels for these rifles. This is common knowledge among advanced gun collectors. Ranch Dog makes a
special bullet mold for this Browning Winchester Micro barreled rifle. I hope this advances your knowledge on collectable Brownings.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
I agree with most of what you have said here. However, my point was that the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) if used as the instructions indicate, will effectively swage the boolit down to where you won't get good bore seal. If you have a boolit that you sized down to .429 for your Model 29, then apply the FCD as per instructions, the boolit will end up around .4275 or so before it is fired. If you adjust the die to simply remove the flare from the case mouth, it won't swage the boolit down and you will be fine.

The best thing to do is slug the barrel to get a measurement of what YOUR gun needs for proper fit. I have seen Model 29s that are very happy with .429 boolits and others that lead like crazy with anything under .430. Each gun is unique in their preferences. A lot depends on size from the factory or even how it has been treated.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #19

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I'm the OP. After checking around, used wheel weights just aren't available in my area like they use to be. I may have to do the evil-bay thing.

As for cast bullets, I've always used the Lee liquid Alox on unsized bullets (both micro band and regular, for 44 mag and 357) at velocities up to 1000 FPS. Never had any problems or leading. Some say it makes the bullet sticky and gums up their dies. I think they're using to much Alox. I just apply a very light coat and let it dry thoroughly. For magnum velocities, I use gas checked bullets, run through my lube/sizer. But I don't shoot many of these anymore. 100 will last me quite a few years. I have a shooting range on my property and recycle all my lead from my sand trap. This really keeps reloading costs down. My only recurring costs are for primers and powder. So it costs me around $2.00 to reload a box of 38's. The reason I need more lead is we just got my girlfriend a Ruger LCR 38 Special. So I'm doing twice as much reloading as before. That LCR is one sweet puppy ! ! ! ! !

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #20

Have you tried salvage yards? Some one is buying up that lead. The Lee commercial molds throw right on the money with a #2 alloy. As you said no sizing and tumble light in Alox works great.