Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Looking for bullet casting lead. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/looking-bullet-casting-lead-67352/)

genesis 06-30-2012 03:09 AM

Looking for bullet casting lead.

I finally used up what I thought would be my lifetime supply of lead. I cast bullets for my 44 Mag and 38/357. In my entire life, I've never shot a jacketed bullet through any of my guns (rifles or handguns). I did order some linotype from MidwayUSA awhile back. But it was expensive, $5.71 per pound, delivered. Does anyone have an on-line source of lead for bullet casting?

Thanks guys,

Don <><

hiwall 06-30-2012 03:29 AM

I would try locally for wheel weights. I've cast with wheel weight lead for years.

robocop10mm 06-30-2012 04:13 AM

Locally available wheel weights are darn good. Try tire shops and scrap metal dealers. Typically I pay $.40/lb at the scrap yard.

Blending the Linotype 1-5 to the wheel weights will yield very good bullets.

Try Rotometals on line. I buy 50/50 bar solder from them to add tin to my wheel weights.

almostgem 06-30-2012 11:39 AM

If you're patient, you can sometimes get some decent deals on Ebay. Get yourself an auction sniper tool for your phone or computer and look for lynotype or monotype lead. You can also get "bhn tested" lead on ebay, but you never really know whats in it till you start casting.

An auction snipping tool is a program that wil place a bid for you automatically, with only seconds left in the auction. you basically enter your action amount, set it and forget it.

My only comment though, is don't go overboard. You are expected to pay for anything you win. There have been times when I've bid on 3 or 4 different auctions, not expecting to win the item, based on past winning amounts, and have won all of them. There are sites that will let you set up bidding groups where you enter your bid amounts for individual auctions in the group, but set the rule to only win any number you set of an item. When/If that number is reached, the sniping software no longer places bids.

locutus 06-30-2012 03:16 PM

Get wheel weights from your local scrap yard. (or better yet, mooch them from a truck stop!:p)

Silvertip 44 06-30-2012 11:34 PM

Been using wheelweights for 30 or more years. They make excellent bullets.

stick_man 07-01-2012 05:18 AM

Rotometals.com is a good place to get known alloy from. Also, there are other forums that deal extensively with casting metals. Not sure if I can post a link here to another forum, but I'd be happy to provide you with the information through PM. On one such forum, the common selling price for ingots made from either wheel weights or pure lead is barely over $1/lb shipped. Linotype can often be found on ebay for less than $1.50/lb but be sure to buy it in raw type form so you know exactly what you are getting.

Durangokid 07-01-2012 05:35 AM

I use WW, Linotype, Sterotype, Foundry metal etc. For most handgun use WW metal is close to Lyman #2 most of the time and works just fine. Most casters use harder bullets than needed in handguns. There is no standard for the alloys in WWs so you never know for sure if they are hard or soft. You should invest in a Lee Hardness Tester and check the BHN of any lead before you bring it home. A BHN of 11 or 12 will work just fine if you match you bullet sizes to you forcing cone chamber throats and bore. Bullet to bore and throat is more important in leading than a BHN #22. I would also use the Lee Factory Crimper with cast bullets. Crimp is most important when shooting cast bullets in magnum handguns. good luck.:)

W. C. Quantrill 07-01-2012 03:21 PM

The stick on wheel weights are almost pure lead, the clip ons are the alloy.

robocop10mm 07-01-2012 03:53 PM

Very true there Quantrill. When I refer to wheel weights, I refer to the clip on ones. They are generally about 3% Antimony. Stick on weights are virgin (soft) lead. They make darn good shotgun slugs or minnie balls when blended 20-1 with Tin.