Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   looking for a 40 s&w target load (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/looking-40-s-w-target-load-30070/)

XDM40 08-05-2010 03:49 AM

looking for a 40 s&w target load

just getting into reloading, and ive been researching and reading alot. im trying to find some load data on a solid target load. simply just for shooting paper right now untill i get the hang of everything. id like to know what everyone is using.

thanks for the help

robocop10mm 08-05-2010 04:28 AM

175 gr truncated cone cast (by me) bullet. 4.5 gr Red Dot will shoot accurately out of most guns and still cycle reliably. 4.8 gr to make IPSC major. I used to use W-231, but it got hard to find. Red Dot is versitile enough for most handgun loads and is perfect for my light game loads in 12 ga.

hunter Joe 08-05-2010 12:26 PM

I'm shooting 3.3 grains of Hodgen Clays behind a 180 grain Berry's bullet. Very accurate.

lkd 08-05-2010 01:40 PM

I use 155gr Montana Gold and 5.2gr of TiteGroup. 1.125 OAL.

Extremely accurate and low recoil. Haven't run it through a chrony yet.

Rick1967 08-05-2010 02:12 PM

I use titegroup for every pistol caliber from .380 to 44 mag. It is a great pistol powder. It is unaffected by the position of the powder in respect to the primer. It shoots the same against the bullet as it does againt the primer. That is not the case with a lot of powders. For 40 S&W I use 4.3 grains of Titegroup behind a 175 grain lead flat point bullet. I tumble lube this bullet. I get no lead fouling of the barrel what-so-ever with this load. It is very accurate. It has a stout recoil. But it is realistic when practicing.

XDM40 08-05-2010 05:37 PM

Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 40 S&W, 10mm Auto (400 Diameter) 165 Grain Plated Flat Nose Box of 2000 Free Freight - MidwayUSA

got a newbie question about these, how far do you seat these down in the casing? has anyone used these before?

XDM40 08-05-2010 05:55 PM

so has anyone used the rainier lead safe bullets? i found a pretty good price on 165 gr and i think im gunna use em. i cant really find any tables on that bullet and not sure what kinda of powder i should use oal length ect. my local gun store carries little bottles of almost all hodgdon powders and bulk jugs of hodgdon universal and unique. any help would be great

lkd 08-05-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDM40 (Post 326579)
so has anyone used the rainier lead safe bullets? i found a pretty good price on 165 gr and i think im gunna use em. i cant really find any tables on that bullet and not sure what kinda of powder i should use oal length ect. my local gun store carries little bottles of almost all hodgdon powders and bulk jugs of hodgdon universal and unique. any help would be great

As with any reloading, NEVER trust us codgers giving you recipes. :D Start from recommended recipes from reloading books (Lee puts modern reloading tables in their die sets as well for the matching caliber).

Having said that, I have a lot of Rainier's myself and love them too. Reloading is an act of passion and patience, but it's hella fun to take out 400 rounds loaded with different powders and bullets and figure out what works best. The difference between factory loads and "hand" loads can sometimes be astounding.

XDM40 08-06-2010 03:02 AM

i hear what your saying, well since im a newbie i just want you guys to take a look at what im thinking.

Rainier 180 gr 4.4 gr titegroup oal 1.35 or
Rainier 180 gr 5.2 gr unique oal 1.125

this is kinda some info ive gatherd throughout the sites couldnt really find any table for the rainier so i kinda went of lead tables. is this a good starting point? also what kinda power is recomended for plated bullets.

thanks for all